• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unmolding Chocolate Easter Eggs

chocoera

gosh, i'm so sorry i've been posting so much lately, its like all of sudden i got some projects that i feel absolutely worthless with, and needing the help and expertise of you all! :sad:

ok. so i really want to make some chocolate easter eggs, and i've done some before hollow, where i took my two poly molds (they are 6 egg cavities per mold, about 4 inches high) and would fill each cavity with a bit of chocolate, swirl and swirl with the two molds one top of each other (producing 6 finished whole eggs) and then let them set, take off the top, and voila! an egg you can lift out.

well, i wanted to fill these hollow eggs with mudballs or jellybeans or something, so that old method doesn't work, since it produces an "instant seam" and not 2 separate halves. so i did like i would chocolates, and just fill, tap, drain out and scrape. let harden, and i THOUGHT i could just slide them out. Nope. i've tried letting the chocolate rest in there longer to make a much thicker shell, but even then, its a chore to get out. is there a special way to make them release, or to get them out of the mold? i find the fact that it is "egg shaped" with different pressure points a problem maybe? like it will crack down (somewhat) of the middle, and one half comes out, and the other half then comes out.

(also, don't know if this matters, but i paint the molds with colored cocoa butter and sometime tempered chocolate for designs. and the cocoa butter isn't sticking to the mold, so i don't think that's the problem.)

ugg. i am super frustrated with this project and have become mildly obsessed with mastering it!

(i think you always want what is currently out of reach!) :raz:

so eG geniuses...please help!!! i'll love you forever! :wub:

*well, i already do...but you know what i mean!*

so i did like i would chocolates, and just fill, tap, drain out and scrape.  let harden, and i THOUGHT i could just slide them out. 

That's how I do it, I never had any problems with it, the only time I did have a hard time taking it out was due to imperfect tempering. Are you positive your chocolate was perfectly tempered ?

so i did like i would chocolates, and just fill, tap, drain out and scrape.  let harden, and i THOUGHT i could just slide them out. 

That's how I do it, I never had any problems with it, the only time I did have a hard time taking it out was due to imperfect tempering. Are you positive your chocolate was perfectly tempered ?

i temper like i always do for chocolates, and when they come out (in parts) :hmmm: they are shiny, no streaks, "firm" (as in, when untempered chocolate sets kinda soft and matte) and when i handle them outside the mold, they are ok. i just feel like when i try to get them to come out a part catches, or doesn't seem to release as well. and even when they look "cloudy" on the bottom, outside the mold (the sign that the chocolate has pulled away from the mold) it still doesn't want to come out easily...i put my finger in the middle, and try to "scoop" or slide up so that the center will pull out towards the edge so i can lift it out. is that a wrong way to get it out?

Make sure you scrape really well. Twist the mold a bit and put your finger in to coax it out. If no joy, place in the freezer for about 3 minutes and try again.

Perhaps you need a thicker shell. Try an extra coating or two/

huh. sounds silly. and don't laugh. but i never thought of it as "extra coatings". so i should maybe do 2-3 thin shells, instead of one slightly medium/thinnish shell....*ha ha ha* i'm so used to super thin shells for chocolates, i never thought i should shell, let set, shell again, set etc....

and kerry-i'll make sure to do an extra good scrape on it. i'm going to be trying again tonight or tomorrow and will update on the techniques mentioned here.

*feel free to keep em' coming though...!

I wonder if because of their size they need more time to cool, or need to be refrigerated or otherwise chilled down? The cloudiness you're describing makes me think of cooling marks, and it sounds like these are pretty large eggs.

I think you'll definitely want a thicker shell for larger pieces - it may be your shell isn't thick enough to contract enough to get out of the mold?

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

:wub:

gosh, this is just me being a girl, but when i see such overwhelming support from you guys it really *almost* :laugh: makes me tear up... i'm in omaha, and there is not an abundance of chocolatiers or dessert makers to come to talk to, and sometimes i just feel really lost and alone if a problem arises! but to know i can come here, and get such great suggestions...it really means a lot. I will try to post a photo soon since i'm doing some more eggs today and tomorrow, and (if those don't work, going to try again this weekend!)

love the video, that helped a lot too!!!

Edited by chocoera (log)