• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thermopen Sale

P1800Girl

This Taylor kicks some some serious thermopen butt. Normally sells for $90, but I've seen on sale for less. Has a thermocouple AND a remote IR sensor. Takes regular batteries. Waterproof. And it's the only thermometer I've owned that's lasted a year without breaking (and still going strong).

Notes from the underbelly

This Taylor kicks some some serious thermopen butt. Normally sells for $90, but I've seen on sale for less. Has a thermocouple AND a remote IR sensor. Takes regular batteries. Waterproof. And it's the only thermometer I've owned that's lasted a year without breaking (and still going strong).

Interesting. Awhile back I've seen it in a restaurant supply store for under $70 on special, not sure which model, but it flew of the shelves while I went home to check it out on the internet. When I got back to the store they were gone. Will investigate some more. Thanks.

"The Thermapen Private Sale Has Ended

Thanks for your interest in the private sale. We had a phenomenal response."

Decisions!!!!!Decisions!!!!!!!

Should I get the "old" termapen on sale for $74 or the new improved model for $96?

Has anybody been using the new model? Is it really that much better?

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/tpen_home.html

I'd go for the new one for another $20. With their rep updated technology should be worth the $$. Waterproof is always a good thing when you accidentally drop it in the soup pot :huh:

I used to agonize over stuff like that when it came to my kitchen gadgets until I realized how much money I dropped on a bottle of wine, a meal, even lattes and then to go cheap on a proven and well used kitchen implement that will last you for years became a bit ridiculous.

• 2 months later...

I think one of my surprise birthday presents is a Thermapen and I just read the post about the Taylor. Anybody else want to weigh in on whether I should return the Thermapen or keep it (when I'm surprised and I get it, that is)???

-Mark

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

I think one of my surprise birthday presents is a Thermapen and I just read the post about the Taylor. Anybody else want to weigh in on whether I should return the Thermapen or keep it (when I'm surprised and I get it, that is)???

Ummm.

Is waterproof very important?

Is an IR facility (however inaccurate and limited in range) very important?

How important is speed to a stable reading? Accuracy? Calibration? ...

Its kinda important that folks get their heads around the fact that "Thermapen" is a brand not a specific model.

There are quite a few different Thermapen models with different capabilities.

And some of those models come in a choice of colours.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan