• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese food for a class project

Where meat etc. is involved, even for veg. okonomiyaki, sauce may have non-veg components [anchovy/worcester, dashi etc.]. By dietary restrictions, I also meant religious and/or other non-medical issues like Halal, kosher, and anything else that the teachers might be aware of. Better to touch bases with them on this score [to prevent last minute confusion].

Things are so complicated nowadays!!

Osembei and wasabi green pea snack!!

If I recall correctly, it's a 10 minute presentation about Japan as a country and culture, so the food is just a small part of it. Strictly speaking, the food component isn't required, but most kids are doing it.

With only 10 minutes I would definitely take something that could be passed out and eaten in a very short time. You will probably want to make a it finger food and fussing with utensils/plates can get time consuming not to mention the clean-up.

I would also make it vegetarian unless you know ahead of time there are no vegetarians in the class.

My vote would be for a futomaki style dish, it is a little more exciting than just a kappamaki and will fit in well with the kids image of Japanese food. 4 rolls (8 slices per roll) will feed the class and don't require too much prep. They can be prepared in the morning, sliced and individually wrapped (for easier serving). Using just vegetables (and possibly omelet) means refrigeration won't be necessary.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"