• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fork under Terence Feury

davidbdesilva

Fork's new head chef is Terence Feury, of Striped Bass and various NYC restaurant fame, and he has changed the kitchen of Fork significntly. A year ago we attended a wine dinner at Fork which was, unfortunately, quite bad. Upon bringing this to the attention of Ellen Yao, owner of Fork, she promptly gave us a certificate to dine at Fork on another ocassion. I had basically written Fork off as having seen better times.

Well my wife and I dined there last night and had a fantastic meal. For apps we had fall-off-the-bone tender duck confit that was delicous and a scallop eschabeche that was excellent as well (each $14 I think). The duck was a huge portion while the scallops were on the small side. An entree of sea scallops in a wonderful broth ($26) was fantastic and cod done with radicchio and baby clams ($28), while a little salty, was very good. An excellent bottle of Doamine Servin Chablis ($60) went perfectly with our dishes.

For dessert we split an excellent coconut panna cotta ($9) with fresh strawberries that was both sweet and refreshing. Service (from Julie) was excellent, professional and very friendly. Atmosphere is still sexy and romantic. All in all an excellent meal and whereas not too long ago I had written them off, I'm now looking forward to returning to Fork soon.

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

Yes TF is a very good chef.

Ellen "Yin" is the Owner.

I KNEW that didn't look right! Thanks, maybe it being March I have B-ball on my mind too much? Anyway, Ellen Yin is a consumate professional and knows how to run a restaurant.

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

Upon bringing this to the attention of Ellen Yao, owner of Fork

Funny Dave, when I read it I immediately thought of the dinner I had at Fontainbleau last week as the name is similar to the owner of Hakkasan.

Fontainbleau

I tried the confit at fork last night, it was quite good.

PM me, I need your e-mail.

I'll add to the good words about Fork. While no one thing was so spectacular that I'd insist you drop everything and race over there, everything was very good and the meal as a whole was very satisfying. Our server was excellent (sorry, didn't get her name...) the place had a nice feel, and we like the fact that they serve the full menu pretty late (10:30 weekdays, 11:30 on Fridays and Saturdays.)

We liked the selection of charcuterie, all apparently made in-house. The nut-studded Cervelas de Lyon was especially good.

gallery_23992_2577_137641.jpg

Perhaps even better, but not all that photogenic, was the lamb belly, which was crispy, rich, salty and lamb-y. The ribbons of tongue, and tender artichokes were good partners. We also quite liked the beet salad, especially the the cured pears that were mixed in.

A crispy Striped Bass was perfectly cooked, and accompanied by a pea purée as well as a zingier sauce that perked the fish up nicely.

gallery_23992_2577_101614.jpg

We were a little mixed on the flavor and texture of the corned duck breast. It was very well -executed, but the jury's still out about whether that's the best treatment to give a duck breast. We were underwhelmed by the celery-root purée, but the horseradish-spiked sauce complimented the duck beautifully.

Our favorite dish of the night might have been the porkchop. It was well-seared, but still juicy, flirting with the rarer side of our comfort zone, but we did say that "medium" was fine, when it was suggested by the server, and indeed it was very tasty. The chop was served over outstanding homemade sauerkraut, and joined by a small blood sausage, roasted apples, and three very nice cheddar pierogies.

gallery_23992_2577_98045.jpg

We had a very good, and reasonably-priced bottle of Grüner Veltliner, which went very nicely with all this food.

Too stuffed for dessert.

I don't think any one dish is going to lure us back to Fork, but the overall experience certainly will.

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com