• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Extra virgin Olive Oil, Color

GlorifiedRice

Im in a slight debate on another forum about the color of quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

It started with this pic:

http://i39.tinypic.com/6g8olx.jpg

I say that Rachel Rays EVOO is not a good quality due to its ORANGEY color.

My friend says that shes seen $80.00 EVOO that was orange in Cali.

Me thinks there is something wrong with orange EVOO or at least a switcheroo is occurring. After all, olives are green and a first cold press would impart the green color into the fresh oil.

What say you?

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Oil from ripe olives tends to have a golden color. Oil from green olives tends to have a green color. And everything in between, depending on the olive and the levels of ripeness.

Edited by slkinsey (log)

--

The traditional method of tasting olive oil for sensory evaluation is in pear shaped glasses that are blue in color. This insure that the color has no influence on the tasters decision. There is a large range of colors, other than green, for olive oil, but I've not seen orange colored olive oil.

"I drink to make other people interesting".

Oil from ripe olives tends to have a golden color.  Oil from green olives tends to have a green color.  And everything in between, depending on the olive and the levels of ripeness.

Wouldnt the fact that the orangey oil was made with ripe olives then have a risk of being slightly off due to the fact that you cant ensure that some of the olives in the batch are not over ripe and rancid?

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Could be the color of the glass bottle, too, and the lighting in the store could affect the apparent color in your photo. It certainly looks different in the photo on this site: http://www.famousfoods.com/rarayexviolo.html

Douglas Collins

Hermosa Beach, California

Un dîner sans vin est comme un jour sans soleil.

Could be the color of the glass bottle, too, and the lighting in the store could affect the apparent color in your photo. It certainly looks different in the photo on this site: http://www.famousfoods.com/rarayexviolo.html

No. What I shot the pic of I actually picked it up and looked at it. The bottle is colorless. So is the representative bottle of green EVOO from Giant next to it. Ive seen it in different stores and its always orangey.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Wouldnt the fact that the orangey oil was made with ripe olives then have a risk of being slightly off due to the fact that you cant ensure that some of the olives in the batch are not over ripe and rancid?

Possible? Sure. Likely? Who knows. The proof is in the tasting... you going to take one for the team?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Rancid, no. I don't think olives "rot on the tree." If you've ever seen an uncured olive, you'd see that they're extremely tough.

Over-ripe (or damaged), possibly. And this could potentially contribute to an oil with less fruity character and more acidity. However, only the more expensive extra virgin olive oils are made from olives (usually hand picked and sorted, and pressed within a day or two) that have been carefully selected to screen our any over-ripe or damaged fruit. I can tell you right now that this would not be true of any of the oils in your picture.

--

Possible? Sure. Likely? Who knows. The proof is in the tasting... you going to take one for the team?

Hahaha!

I just dont want to give her money.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!