• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can some recommend some good food history books?

gingerbeer

I'm really curious about the history of food, but I'm not sure where to start reading. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you.

Go to Acanthus Books

They have reprints of the entire Oxford Symposium, the Leeds Symposium and many other reproductions and facsimile editions of historical food books.

I have purchased many of their offerings and have yet to be disappointed.

You can select from many eras, Click on Browse by Era and see what you can find.

I went to them because I was extremely dissatisfied with some of the "Historical Food Atlases" that were available in regular bookstores.

You should also consult The Food Timeline.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Anne Mendelson's new book, Milk: The surprising story of milk through the ages

is great history on milk. It also has some very interesting historical recipes.

(And she was on my web show.)

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

There are some great on-line resources that have scanned out of copyright cookbooks.

Examples are:

Feeding America: The Historic American Cookbook Project

Historical Culinary & Brewing Documents Online

The cookbooks and home economics section of Internet Archive

Also, check out this eGullet link.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

One comes to mind right now, and the title says it all:

"A Thousand Years Over a Hot Stove"

Also, "Something from the Oven" was a fun read as well.

Check your library's non-fiction stacks, Dewey system number 641.0. Leaf through or even pick at random. That's how I've come across lots of hidden gems, including the two above.

~ elisejames08.blogspot.com ~

there is a Time-Life series, available off the beaten track, that goes into each of the Foods of the World. and by that name, you will find them. Wish I could find mine...seriously, they are missing...

For a specific and eminently readable look at the food history and culture of Italy and France, I can think of no more pleasant introduction then Waverly Root's books. Beautiful writing, deeply informative.

For a specific and eminently readable look at the food history and culture of Italy and France, I can think of no more pleasant introduction then Waverly Root's books. Beautiful writing, deeply informative.

for Middle Eastern history, where (one area of) civilization began and the center of origin of many domesticated animal and plants:

The Delights from the Garden of Eden, Nawal Nassrallah

For more Mediterranean food history:

The Mediterranean Feast, Clifford Wright

The Taste of Thyme, edited by Richard Tapper and Sami Zubaida

Medieval arab Cookery, Rodinson and Charles Perry

More general history:

Near a Thousand Tables, by Felipe Fernandez-Armesto

There are also lots of about specific food products

Edited by melamed (log)

Cheers, Sarah

http://sarahmelamed.com/

Two other important titles are:

A Culinary History of Food (Jean-Louis Flandrin and Massimo Montanari)

History of Food (Maguelonne Toussaint-Samat); incredibly stodgy text, thanks to French academic style translated into English

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."

One comes to mind right now, and the title says it all:

"A Thousand Years Over a Hot Stove"

I read this book as well and enjoyed it -- I needed it for some research I was doing for an article I wrote about my friend's baking school and Le Paynol wood fired oven.

It's an excellent overview of how the simple tasks that we preform easily on a daily basis were not so easy in earlier times.

And DDS 641 is always a cool place to hang out in the library to discover new and old gems!

-sabine

History of Food (Maguelonne Toussaint-Samat); incredibly stodgy text, thanks to French academic style translated into English

If you really want to have some fun while reading this great book, keep a highlighter handy. Everytime there is a snarky comment about non French fare, or a comment giving the French credit for something that they clearly did not invent, brighten it up with your highlighter. You'll need more than one.

Either way, it's a fascinating book.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...