• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

KC Farmer's Markets 2009

Zeemanb

First, glad not to witness the 'happy dance' first-hand. I can only imagine . . .

Second, we're less than two weeks away from the first of two KC Farm Expos, Saturday March 28 and April 4.

Third, I've been using fresh herbs from my little perennial bed for a couple of weeks now :raz:

Lastly, I just this weekend sent the email to the friends to remind them to give me a heads-up when their first morels pop-out of their window box. I'll keep you posted.

And the final harbinger of spring . . . I have once again failed to get into the KCCUA CSA - 8 openings, 50 applicants and no luck. Woe is me. :angry:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

And Judy, if you mention any friends of yours who have morels growing right outside of their kitchen windows, you are permanently banned from this conversation!

I suppose this wouldn't be the appropriate time or place to post a note about the morel patch I found in my yard last year... :raz:

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

First, glad not to witness the 'happy dance' first-hand.  I can only imagine . . .

Second, we're less than two weeks away from the first of two KC Farm Expos, Saturday March 28 and April 4.

Agh, I'll be out of town for BOTH of those events....but the good news is that I'll be having dinner at eGulleter Kim Shook's home in Richmond, Virginia.

Oh, did I mention that I'm getting married? And it's a product of eG roundaboutly speaking?

And UE.....you probably live too close to me to be talking about those morels.....but I'm very forgiving as long as you share.....lol

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Agh, I'll be out of town for BOTH of those events....but the good news is that I'll be having dinner at eGulleter Kim Shook's home in Richmond, Virginia. 

Oh, did I mention that I'm getting married?  And it's a product of eG roundaboutly speaking?

And UE.....you probably live too close to me to be talking about those morels.....but I'm very forgiving as long as you share.....lol

1. Good (unless you're Kim Shook)

2. No, but I'll believe that when I see it.

3. Run away, UE, run away. They're just funghi - save yourself!

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Chives are up in the gardern. No sign of thyme or parsley yet.

How does one have a window box with morels? Can one order spores somewhere?

When my friends bought their house that was an undisclosed extra. I think all of their land is infested with morel spores - they're the proverbial "grocery bagful a day" when the season is right. It's really unfair. :angry:

But it's already thyme time at our place so I will be thankful for that and try not to resent the lack of morels. :wub:

M.F.K. Fisher

Yeah spring!

Going to the Fair Share Farm CSA sign-up meeting on Sunday, so yes, happy dance here!

It's almost warm enough to treck down to the cabin at the Lake of the Ozarks, and HW 7 is a treasure trove of tiny garden stands. A couple of years ago, I had my first introduction to morels this way. Driving with my parents, we passed a family selling paper bags of morels out of the back of their truck. Dad immediately made a u-turn to buy some. Mom asked him why in the world mushrooms were worth $10/lb, and he said, "Just wait." Later, sitting on the deck looking at the lake, sun soaked, cocktailed, and content, we shared a plate of sliced morels fried in butter, he told us stories of mushroom hunting as a young adult, and she forgot she had asked why.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

Last weekend at City Market there were garden plants but no finished veggies or herbs. The meat/egg and honey people are there though. Lots of folks milling around, though, waiting for something good to show up!

Oh, there were the fake farmers. Those who bought a flat of tomatoes off a truck, then put them in little paperboard containers like they grew them. Does this drive anyone else nuts? They are easy to spot now (sorry, kids, no home-grown tomatoes in Missouri in March!), but later in the season it gets more difficult. As I go every week, and see the same vendors over and over, I have developed a mental list of cheaters from seeing evidence of their treachery. I go back, though, because the honest folks have stuff too good to miss.

Last weekend at City Market there were garden plants but no finished veggies or herbs. The meat/egg and honey people are there though.  Lots of folks milling around, though, waiting for something good to show up!

Oh, there were the fake farmers. Those who bought a flat of tomatoes off a truck, then put them in little paperboard containers like they grew them. Does this drive anyone else nuts? They are easy to spot now (sorry, kids, no home-grown tomatoes in Missouri in March!), but later in the season it gets more difficult. As I go every week, and see the same vendors over and over, I have developed a mental list of cheaters from seeing evidence of their treachery. I go back, though, because the honest folks have stuff too good to miss.

Yes, that's the only thing I really dislike about City Market. Most of the smaller markets have "producer only" rules but CM (and Overland Park) allow hucksters. I don't feel too sorry for people who buy Missouri March tomatoes (caveat emptor!) but it does become sketchy as the season progresses. A quick sniff test usually helps ferret-out the weasles :wink:

M.F.K. Fisher

At the City Market last June, one of the "farmers" tried to sell me tree ripened locally grown peaches. Except they were as hard as rocks. Tried to tell me they'd be ripe in two days.

I got some less than stellar corn as well. Its definately buyer beware.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

• 3 weeks later...

First true produce sighting at City Market!

Huns Garden has early greens (lettuce, mustard, spring onions). I know them to be truly local, organic, and sellers of only what they grow themselves - they're my go-to greens providers all season long. Mr. Huns said, "It's good to see you!" and I said, "Oh, you have no idea..."

Last week, Shatto Milk had cheese curds for sale, but not this week. I don't know if they will be a regular thing or not.

Huns Garden has early greens (lettuce, mustard, spring onions). I know them to be truly local, organic, and sellers of only what they grow themselves - they're my go-to greens providers all season long. Mr. Huns said, "It's good to see you!" and I said, "Oh,  you have no idea..."

Last week, Shatto Milk had cheese curds for sale, but not this week. I don't know if they will be a regular thing or not.

I think I've seen the cheese curds for sale down at the wine shop (don't remember the name right now) down at the end of the market on the Carollo's side, but no idea if they have them all the time or not. Another Shatto sighting at my local Price Chopper..... their ice cream is pretty fantastic.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

• 3 weeks later...

Huns Garden has early greens (lettuce, mustard, spring onions). I know them to be truly local, organic, and sellers of only what they grow themselves - they're my go-to greens providers all season long. Mr. Huns said, "It's good to see you!" and I said, "Oh,  you have no idea..."

Shatto plans to attend the City Market "often but not every week" according to their latest Facebook posting. If you friend them, you can receive frequent updates about their market activities, farm tours, etc.

M.F.K. Fisher

And it's the moooost wonderful tiiiime of the yeeeaaarrr...

Okay, not better than dilaudid, but definitely more calming and wonderful than Xanax......made my first trip of the year to the Parkville Farmer's Market a few minutes ago. It is small, but it is incredibly awesome.....I am happy, I can scare children at the intersection of 45 and 9 highways singing opera at 8am, and hear them say "mommy, why is that man smiling and saying 'I got a chicken'?". Finally, a normal moment for me.....got some lettuce and asparagus from Crum's, and a chicken and some eggs from the folks at Campo Lindo. Yes, it is early in the season when you can get down there at 8am and there are still any eggs left, much less whole chickens....

So lunch and dinner will be good, very, very good.....

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

And it's the moooost wonderful tiiiime of the yeeeaaarrr...

Okay, not better than dilaudid, but definitely more calming and wonderful than Xanax......made my first trip of the year to the Parkville Farmer's Market a few minutes ago.  It is small, but it is incredibly awesome.....I am happy, I can scare children at the intersection of 45 and 9 highways singing opera at 8am, and hear them say "mommy, why is that man smiling and saying 'I got a chicken'?".  Finally, a normal moment for me.....got some lettuce and asparagus from Crum's, and a chicken and some eggs from the folks at Campo Lindo.  Yes, it is early in the season when you can get down there at 8am and there are still any eggs left, much less whole chickens....

So lunch and dinner will be good, very, very good.....

I envy you the Crum stuff but I think the parents/children were frightened more by YOU than by opera. Although, in your 'hood, it's a toss-up.

M.F.K. Fisher

It is now so crowded at City Market that if you are not there before 8:00 AM, you will not park. I got a flat of Arkansas strawberries Saturday and they are going in the jam pot tonight. I too am very very happy about this time of year!