• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

@David Ross Thanks for bumping this thread. It's very timely for me.

I grew up on Las Palmas Mild Red Enchilada Sauce. My children grew up on it. So, after over 50 years, Las Palmas has changed the recipe and upped the heat. That doesn't work for my Sweetie and me. About a month ago I decided I would learn to make my own sauce. The posts in this thread have given me a great starting point. For the chili component I'll be gently using Penzey's Ancho Chili pepper. I'm not quite ready to jump in today, but most likely do so within the month. That's when I'll make my next Chicken Enchilada Casseroles. I sous vide B/S chicken thighs in a little bit of the sauce, then cool and chop; we like small chunks of chicken in the casserole. I make enough casserole for 2 meals, splitting it between 2 glass baking dishes, freezing one for the future. Our casserole sounds similar to the stacked enchiladas mentioned up-thread, except we bake it to heat it through after assembly.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 1 month later...

I haven't made enchiladas in a long time, but I had some old tortillas to use up, so tonight I went with stacked, grilled enchiladas for dinner. The filling is Rancho Gordo Rebosero beans, fire roasted jalapeños and onions, pickled jalapeños, and a little bit of Cabot extra sharp cheddar. The sauce is "stuff I had in the fridge." So leftover pizza sauce, ground dried chiles, and Valentina hot sauce. It was cooked in a hotel pan on the grill because it's hot and I'm not turning the oven on. That resulted in a sort of toasted/crispy base tortilla, which was an interesting change, but sort of un-enchilada-like.

20200616-174718.jpg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

9 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

Not sure about the leftover pizza sauce.

It was crushed tomatoes, red pepper flakes, and Dubonnet Rouge -- all told, once combined with the chiles, a reasonably respectable sauce, I thought.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

20 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

It was crushed tomatoes, red pepper flakes, and Dubonnet Rouge -- all told, once combined with the chiles, a reasonably respectable sauce, I thought.

All about taste. Keeping you in South of Border Club :)

• 5 months later...

I've been trying to get more experienced and familiar with Mexican cooking (both the traditional and the more tex-mexy). Enchiladas are definitely among my favorite preparations in any fashion.

Home made corn tortillas, pen fried, pressed into a spiced egg mixture and briefly fried. All coated in a salsa verde of roasted green chilies, garlic, herbs, some coriander seed and sour cream.

Filled with grilled onions, feta and mozzarella (for lack of any Mexican cheeses). Heated through, topped with more sour cream and some pickled chilies.

IMG_20200815_152614_1.thumb.jpg.3f16782a51788c080a5eeb840403e700.jpg

Enchilada rojas. Home made corn tortillas. Pan fried and soaked in a sauce of grilled chilies, grilled tomatoes, ancho chilies, garlic, and a few spices. Filled with feta cheese and grilled onion.

PXL_20200908_193034105.thumb.jpg.2738ffd889d62afc1957cf4013078fdd.jpg

Baked enchiladas. Filling is made with spinach, onion, feta and mozzarella, grilled corn, egg, spices (coriander, cumin, oregano), chilies. Wrapped in corn tortillas. Sauce is a chipotle Mornay, made with dried chipotle, dried mild chilies, milk, cheeses, spices. Topping is sour cream mixed with the spiced spinach component of the filling (cooked spinach, cilantro, fresh oregano, garlic, toasted coriander, cumin, chili) and lime. 

PXL_20201111_195049883.thumb.jpg.6c32596c28dba8cb7c1b1fecaa734304.jpg

Enfrijoladas. Tortillas dipped in bean sauce with dried chilies, coriander seeds, cumin. Filled with boiled egg, onion and cheeses. Baked to melt. Sour cream, chilies, pepitas.

IMG_20190809_144437.thumb.jpg.25b88098ba19bec9b080e7fa0ae3c9a8.jpgIMG_20190809_143718_1.thumb.jpg.0007ad11602155bf02b994ab094f7b45.jpg

I notice a theme - apparently I like serving enchiladas with grilled corn.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 2

~ Shai N.

5 minutes ago, shain said:

I've been trying to get more experienced and familiar with Mexican cooking (both the traditional and the more tex-mexy). Enchiladas are definitely among my favorite preparations in any fashion.

Home made corn tortillas, pen fried, pressed into a spiced egg mixture and briefly fried. All coated in a salsa verde of roasted green chilies, garlic, herbs, some coriander seed and sour cream.

Filled with grilled onions, feta and mozzarella (for lack of any Mexican cheeses). Heated through, topped with more sour cream and some pickled chilies.

IMG_20200815_152614_1.thumb.jpg.3f16782a51788c080a5eeb840403e700.jpg

Enchilada rojas. Home made corn tortillas. Pan fried and soaked in a sauce of grilled chilies, grilled tomatoes, ancho chilies, garlic, and a few spices. Filled with feta cheese and grilled onion.

PXL_20200908_193034105.thumb.jpg.2738ffd889d62afc1957cf4013078fdd.jpg

Baked enchiladas. Filling is made with spinach, onion, feta and mozzarella, grilled corn, egg, spices (coriander, cumin, oregano), chilies. Wrapped in corn tortillas. Sauce is a chipotle Mornay, made with dried chipotle, dried mild chilies, milk, cheeses, spices. Topping is sour cream mixed with the spiced spinach component of the filling (cooked spinach, cilantro, fresh oregano, garlic, toasted coriander, cumin, chili) and lime. 

PXL_20201111_195049883.thumb.jpg.6c32596c28dba8cb7c1b1fecaa734304.jpg

Enfrijoladas. Tortillas dipped in bean sauce with dried chilies, coriander seeds, cumin. Filled with boiled egg, onion and cheeses. Baked to melt. Sour cream, chilies, pepitas.

IMG_20190809_144437.thumb.jpg.25b88098ba19bec9b080e7fa0ae3c9a8.jpgIMG_20190809_143718_1.thumb.jpg.0007ad11602155bf02b994ab094f7b45.jpg

I notice a theme - apparently I like serving enchiladas with grilled corn.

The 3 sisters of Hispanic cuisine are beans/corn/squash  https://www.nativeseeds.org/blogs/blog-news/how-to-grow-a-three-sisters-garden#:~:text=Who are the three sisters,garden as well as nutritionally. 

So many resources and authenticity whatever that is is nice but one adapts. We love Diana -  not a Mexico nativ but an ambassador for sure (as was her diplomt hubby) https://forums.egullet.org/topic/135118-cooking-with-diana-kennedys-oaxaca-al-gusto/page/2/

• Like 2
  • Similar Content

• By cyalexa
      Salsa Para Enchiladas  
      3 ancho chiles
      2 New Mexico chiles
      2 chipotle chiles
      1 clove garlic, sliced
      2 TB flour
      2 TB vegetable oil
      1 tsp vinegar
      ¾ tsp salt
      ¼ tsp dried oregano
      2 cups broth, stock, or (filtered) chili soaking liquid
      Rinse, stem and seed chiles. Place in saucepan and cover with water. Bring to boil. Cover and remove from heat and let soften and cool. While the chiles are cooling, gently sauté garlic slices in oil until they are soft and golden brown. Remove the garlic from the oil, with a slotted spoon and reserve. Make a light roux by adding the flour to the oil and sautéing briefly. Drain the chilies and puree them with the garlic slices and half of the liquid. Strain the puree back into the saucepan. Pour the remainder of the liquid through the sieve to loosen any remaining chili pulp. Add the roux to the saucepan and whisk to blend. Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan, bring to a boil then and simmer 15-20 minutes. Taste and add additional salt and vinegar if necessary.
    • By gulfporter
      Grilled fish recipe from Mexico. 

Pescado Zarendeado

4 large dried ancho chiles 2 dried chiles de arból (omit if you prefer a milder sauce) ½ small onion, chopped 8 ounces canned tomato sauce 4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced 3 tablespoons Ponzu sauce (or substitute ½ soy sauce, ½ lime juice) 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce ½ teaspoon salt ½ cup mayonnaise 2 kilos Pargo blanco or red snapper (huachinango) one 2-kilo fish or two 1-kilo fish. Butterflied from the belly out.  Remove and discard the stems and seeds from chiles. Place the chiles in a bowl and cover completely with boiling water and then soak for 40 minutes.
      Remove the chiles and place in a food processor with ½ cup of the soaking liquid, the onion, tomato sauce, garlic, Ponzu, Worcestershire and the salt. Process until very smooth. Sieve the mixture into a bowl, then add the mayonnaise and blend.
      Set aside 2/3 cup of the blended sauce to serve with the cooked fish. The rest will be used to prepare the fish for the grill.
      Slather the flesh-side of the fish with the sauce and then place, skin-side down on a hot charcoal or gas grill. Cooking time will vary depending on the size of the fish. (About 15 minutes for a one-kilo snapper on my gas grill at medium-high, lid closed).
      Place cooked fish on a large platter; use a spoon to remove the flesh.
      Serve with fresh tortillas and pickled onions. Pass the reserved sauce.
      Pickled Red Onions
      Thinly slice a medium red onion into a glass bowl, toss with the juice of a large lime, one or two finely minced serrano chiles and ¼ teaspoon salt. Best if marinated overnight in the fridge.
    • By Kasia
      My quesadilla

Today I would like to share with you the recipe for a dish which meets holiday requirements. It is easy, and it doesn't need sophisticated ingredients or an oven. A frying pan is enough. Quesadilla, the dish in question, is a tortilla with melted cheese. The rest of the ingredients you choose at your discretion. Red beans, pepper, chorizo or fried meat all work brilliantly. I added fried pieces of turkey leg. Thanks to this, my dish could be a holiday dinner.

Ingredients (for 2 people)
      4 tortillas
      300g of turkey leg
      half a chili pepper
      half an onion
      1 clove of garlic
      2 tablespoons of oil
      200g of tinned sweetcorn
      200g of tinned red beans
      fresh pepper
      200g of mozzarella cheese
      salt and pepper

Cube the meat. Fry the diced onion, garlic and chili pepper in oil. Add the spiced-up-with-salt-and-pepper meat and fry on a low heat until the meat is soft. Cube the pepper. Drain the sweetcorn and red beans and slice the mozzarella cheese. Put the tortilla into a dry, heated pan. Arrange the meat, sweetcorn and red beans on it. Cover with the slices of the mozzarella cheese and the second tortilla. Fry on a low heat for a while. Turn it and fry a bit more until the cheese has melted. Put it on a plate and cut it into triangles.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Pierogi
      Mexican Rice
      Serves 4 as Side.

1 T olive oil
      1 small onion, finely chopped
      2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
      1-1/2 c long-grain rice
      3 c low-salt chicken broth or stock
      2 med-size tomatoes (about 12 oz total), chopped
      1 can (4&1/2 oz) chopped green chilies
      1 tsp chili powder
      1/2 tsp salt
      1/4 tsp pepper
      1/2 c fresh chopped cilantro
      1/2 c pimento-stuffed green olives, sliced

Heat oil in 4-quart saucepan over med-high heat until hot. (Make sure you use a large enough pot, I tried to make it fit into a 3&1/2 quart pot and it was very tight). Add onion & garlic, cook until soft. Add rice, and stir well, cook, stirring occasionally, until rice toasts a bit and turns golden, about 3-5 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes, chiles, chili powder, and S&P. Cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, until rice is done, about 25 min. You may have some liquid still left.
      Turn off heat and stir in cilantro and olives, Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
      Keywords: Side, Rice, Mexican, Easy
      ( RG2089 )
    • By chardgirl
      Greens Tacos
      I like to make these for breakfast or lunch: I try to eat dark leafy greens most days one way or another.

3/4 lb greens, cleaned well and sliced into approximate 1 inch pieces (today I used arugula and radish greens, leaving the radish ‘roots' in the fridge to be munched on later. the greens are good to eat, but
      2 tsp cooking oil
      2 stalks green garlic, cleaned as a leek and chopped, or another allium family, whatever you have on hand (onion, green onion, garlic, leek.....)

Pinch red pepper flakes or cayenne
      2 T cream cheese
      4 small corn tortillas or 2-3 larger flour ones

Heat the oil and add the garlic, having the greens ready to go, and cook garlic for about 30 seconds. Then add greens and cook until bright green and wilted, add red pepper (and salt and black pepper if you like). Take off heat and stir in cream cheese. Heat tortillas, divide filling among them. Eat and enjoy.
      Keywords: Vegetables, Easy, Vegetarian
      ( RG1521 )