• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

prune log recipe?

bluechefk

hi -

i have a couple of quarts of prunes soaked in armagnac remaining from a previous dessert menu, and am in search of a great way to use them up. our #1 choice would be to make something that could be served as part of a cheese plate - i've seen a very nice looking prune & walnut log made by pastilla nash, but so far have not been able to find a recipe for anything like this.

i can, i know, fall back on making a cake or a tarte aux pruneaux, but would really love it if i could make something just a little bit different or unexpected.

any suggestions?

That ice cream sounds....sublime!!!

Prune cake is one of my favorites...This recipe comes from a dear friend. I have no idea where she got it. I guess just sub out the jar of prunes for yours!

PRUNE CAKE:

2 CUPS FLOUR

2 CUPS SUGAR

1 TEASPOON BAKING SODA

1 TEASPOON SALT

1 TEASPOON NUTMEG

1 TEASPOON ALLSPICE

3 TEASPOONS CINNAMON

1 CUP OIL (CANOLA)

1 CUP MILK

3 EGGS

1 16 OZ JAR PRUNES WITH PITS (TAKE PITS OUT)

1 CUP WALNUTS CHOPPED

MIX TOGETHER

PUT IN A BUNDT CAKE PAN BE SURE TO REALLY SPRAY WITH PAM

BAKE AT 350 DEGREES FOR 1 HOUR

I guess it's not really suited for a cheese plate though...oh well....

ETA: for typos

Edited by ambra (log)

If you look up recipes for Fig Salami you should be able to use your prunes to make something similar. The Pastilla Nash say it contains - Organic prunes (38%), walnuts (38%), sugar, lemon juice, and honey. Shouldn't be too hard to fudge it!

excellent suggestions - thank you very much, everyone!

i agree - the ice cream sounds wonderful; i think i'll hold back a small portion of the prunes, so i can make a batch of ice cream just for myself :smile:

the fig salami sounds like what we were looking for, so i will try that first. am wishing that i had even more prunes on hand, though, so i could make everything!

kerry