• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cake bows

bripastryguy

I actually am looking for something that only takes a few hours to dry not days.

End result would be like a satiny bow, not a loop bow. I know how to make the bow but what's the best quick fix medium?

Edited by bripastryguy (log)

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

I can get a bow to be dry enough to handle (but don't apply too much pressure on the curve otherwise it will break) in a few hours using Albert Uster's gum paste. Make sure you roll it thin enough - run it through the pasta machine if you have one. I've made the bow loops (like for a loopy bow, not a tied shoelace bow) in the morning and put them on a cake that went out the door that afternoon.

For a tied bow, you have to be careful about handling it - the center is where it wants to break when you go to move it and it's not completely dry. But the loops will hold up after an hour - I fold up a paper towel to support the loops for an hour or so and then I can take them out and the loops stay in place.

If you added more gum trag to whatever gum paste you are using now, it should dry faster.

Or white chocolate plastique - stick it in the cooler and it will firm up enough to handle in 30 mins. The problem I have with this is usually it's an ivory color.

If your project will be in a room with moderate temperature, I would go with chocolate clay. It hardens as it cools.

Theresa :biggrin:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

Pulled sugar makes very beautiful bows, and they are dry within minutes of assembly.

"dry" with sugar is deceiving. you can make them, but if you're in a humid environment (which Bri, I think you're on the East coast and summers are hell there) they won't last very long at all.

I add cornstarch to fondant to help it dry nice. I place mine into a 150 degree warming drawer--two hours later and after cooling to room temp they are ready to go. If I was making a flower I'd use tylose to help the fondant hold the ruffliness--but cornstarch plus the warming drawer does it for me for bows.