• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish

A native of India has opened a small greengrocers close to my house. He is about to start carrying fish. He had a small sign up today, and darned if I can remember what they were except king fish, sardines, and anchovies. I gather he's actually importing them from India.

What kinds of fish are commonly eaten in India?

V

I am NO expert, but....

As I recall from India, the fish I encountered most often were pomfret (usually cooked whole in a tandoori oven,) yellowfin tuna (often found in tandoori maachi), rawas (described as indian salmon,) shark or "mori", bombay "duck" or bombadil, Indian mackerel...and probably a whole bunch more I'm forgetting. And king fish (surmai) of course.

Lucky you for having an Indian seafood supplier nearby! I'm quite jealous.

Rawas

Pomfret

Surmai (Indian mackerel)

Bombay Duck

And for my very favorite Southern Indian fish dish, usually prepared with pearl fish (karimeen) or pomfret: Meen Pollichathu

Edited by faine (log)