• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cup at a time is a bummer

windtrader

Hello tea lovers,

I'm new to the tea forum, having recently stepped forward to learn more deeply the fine points of tea beverages. I just received a very nice tea samples from Anupa at Silver Tips Tea, as recommended in this forum by Gautam.

I don't mind making a cup or two at a time while learning and studying a specific tea, appreciating it's unique color, aroma, and taste. After trying a few variations in steep time, tea to water ratios, and additional infusions, I can get an adequate idea of what works and if I like it and if I do, I just want to brew up a thermos full and draw out of it for the next few hours. No more fussing with water, boiling, strainers, etc.

I did not see much howling about doing this in the forum, so none of you do this or it is not a big deal or or or. As long as I keep the cap tightened it seems not much aroma would be lost. If all the tea leaves are carefully strained out during the decant to the thermos, color and flavor changes would not occur. Very small particulate would get into the pot such as the powder in some Japanese green tea but the majority of teas would strain out completely.

This topic is not about the fine art and etiquette of formal tea preparation or serving as pouring a pot of freshly brewed tea into a thermos jug would I'm certain constitute a sin, rather just a practical way to lessen the time spent preparing (fiddling) tea to drink throughout the day.

When preparing an amount such as a litre, is there much practical difference in taste and aroma between using a quantity of tea leaves so a single infusion produces the desired amount in the least amount of time and assuming the tea can take a second infusion, using half the amount of leaves, brewing half the desired amount of tea and pouring into thermos, followed by a second infusion producing the remaining half?

Thanks

Perhaps you could experiment with what many Indians do: mix CTC [cut, torn, curled] and orthodox [leaf] tea. CTC [e.g. Red Label type, or Assam, Nilgiri, Nepal, Sikkim] primarily is a one-shot tea, you pull out all the goodies even by just pouring OVER near-boiling water: this is the good news, as not much particulates, and heavy tannins will get out. I mean to say, you can control the strength of extraction directly into the thermos by

quantity of CTC x water temperature x rate of flow; plus there is the additional geometry of infuser; get the Starbucks gold-coated frustrum shaped tea infuser, about 4 inches high.

Now add another factor, 2 factors: 1. Added Impedance 2. Flavor in the shape of orthodox leaf tea.

You may experiment with a cheap leaf tea like Lipton Green label, $8/lb.

The CTC goes in first, to have the least steeping time, in this POUR-OVER DIRECT experiment. Then add Leaf, say 2 per every 1 or less of CTC. Then pour on Boiling water. You are making a Thermos Jug, Alladin size, out of 1 Starbuck infuser loosely packed with enough space for water to flow through quickly. Taste to your satisfaction. Shut flask close and taste at 90 min intervals to see how the flavor has deteriorated.

Repeat with only orthodox tea.

Repeat experiment with brewing infusion letting infuser sit in some vessel like saucepan or letting tea leaves float free in saucepan and infuse freely for time apropriate to that leaf. Then strain brew into flask, and proceed to withdraw over 90 min time intervals, comparing side by side with the Pour-over experiment. Check would be fresh infusions.

P.S. I am the greatest admirer of the thermos, especially the unbreakable steel Alladin type. However, tea develops a characteristic "steamy" flavor when sitting inside a bottle for a while; less noticeable in steel or stronger, dark liquor, very much apparent when milk is present. Now this is NOT necessarily a bad thing, as generations of Indians, myself included, have come to treasure this altered flavor for several reasons. One, it usually signifies travel or a special occasion like a cricket game or picnic, happy events celebrated with friends and family. There is this power of positive association. Then, like Asians loving hot dogs and Spam, some have fallen for it.

Edited by v. gautam (log)

This topic is not about the fine art and etiquette of formal tea preparation or serving as pouring a pot of freshly brewed tea into a thermos jug would I'm certain constitute a sin, rather just a practical way to lessen the time spent preparing (fiddling) tea to drink throughout the day.

When preparing an amount such as a litre, is there much practical difference in taste and aroma between using a quantity of tea leaves so a single infusion produces the desired amount in the least amount of time and assuming the tea can take a second infusion, using half the amount of leaves, brewing half the desired amount of tea and pouring into thermos, followed by a second infusion producing the remaining half?

Thanks

I agree. Not all tea drinking has to be formal, though much of the pleasure for me is in the "fiddling" and the nuances of aroma and flavor in multiple infusions. If I am drinking a Chinese green tea, for example, I will sometimes drink it the way most people do in China...throw some leaves in the bottom of a cup, add water and drink, adding hot water from time to time during the day.

A thermos is a practical solution, too. Tea holds longer, better in a thermos than coffee does. Some people prefer a glass thermos to stainless because it is easier to clean the tea residue.

As to your last question, it would make a difference with most teas, but may not make enough difference for you since it seems to be practical and cost effective tea drinking you are after. (Then it also depends upon whether you are talking about one infusion at , say, 7 minutes vs one at 3 and one at 5 OR one at 5 vs one at 3 and one at 5...or some other timing.)

Let us know what you try with what teas and how it turns out.