• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Orleans - Easter weekend?

Diann

Thinking of visiting New Orleans over Easter weekend (Friday-Monday or possibly Thursday-Sunday). Is that a bad idea? Do restaurants get overcrowded, overpriced (special $49.95 Easter brunch!) etc.?

I've never been to NOLA before, so I'm hoping to check out Cochon, August, etc.

Would another weekend in April be better? Thanks in advance!

Off hand I can't think of a reason not too. A lot of locals get out of town since good friday is a holiday, and most of the schools are off for spring break. There are probably a number of Easter brunch events as it is a big holiday down here. There isn't a lot open Sunday night to begin with, but if you know where you want to go, call around and check on availability. ch

Off hand I can't think of a reason not too.  A lot of locals get out of town since good friday is a holiday, and most of the schools are off for spring break.  There are probably a number of Easter brunch events as it is a big holiday down here.  There isn't a lot open Sunday night to begin with, but if you know where you want to go, call around and check on availability.  ch

Bring a hat

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Other Easter parades -

The first to roll is the Historic French Quarter Parade started by the daughter of Count Arnaud long ago. The Parade of carriages and convertibles will leave Arnaud's Restaurant at 10:30 a.m. It goes down Bienville Street to Dauphine Street, Iberville Street, and Bourbon Street. The parade then turns onto Toulouse Street to Royal Street. Participants will promenade in Jackson Square before attending the noon Mass at St. Louis Cathedral, after which they go back to Arnaud's. This was my favorite parade on Easter Sunday when I lived in the City

The St. Charles Easter Parade, rolls up and then down beautiful St. Charles Avenue. You can ride in one the supplied carriages or in your own convertible. The fun begins at 11:00 AM House of Broel with a Continental Breakfast and Champagne Reception. Musical entertainment is provided. Then after the parade a seated dinner buffet will be provided for all riders and non-riders (subject to space availability)at the The Cricket Club. A dance band will play from 2:00 PM until 5:00 PM along with the famous "Full Service Open Bar".

If you just watching the parade, catch it somewhere between the Ponchartrain Hotel and Soniat Street. It makes a loop back to the Pontchartrain Hotel, so you can catch it twice if you want to.

There's a Dinosaur Egg Hunt at the Audubon Zoo on Saturday and Sunday April 4 and 5. Pre-registration is necessary and spots sell out quickly. You can register online.

All this info is found on About.com

IF you do go to the City for Easter have a great time. And like Brooks said, don't forget your bonnet.

As for another weekend in April, you have festivals, the French Quarter festival and the last weekend of April is the first weekend of Jazzfest. If you like music and food, either one will work.

Edited to add some pictures of Easter parade riders Easter on the Avenue

Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!