• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

XO Sauce

udscbt

Hello!

I recently came across a recipe for "Stir-fried prawns with XO sauce" which you can see (with video) at http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/603704/displayVideo/Hi

I wonder if this sauce is authentically Chinese?

- If so, why is it called XO, is it related to a regional cuisine and what is its chinese name?

- If not, where did it originate?

Thanks for your help.

It makes for a lovely seafood stirfry - very easy to find where I'm from in Northern California. I very much enjoy the pungent taste. I do seem to recall seeing it on menus in Beijing (As well as Hong Kong)...

XO sauce is wonderfull stuff with almost limitless possibilities. It amazes me that is was only created in the 80's. Its usually served as a dipping sauce in dim sum joints. I like to use it as a condiment for plain rice, mix it into eggs for an omlette or use it as a spicy unami hit for fried rice. I have been known in the wee small hours to slather it liberally on good bread ;)

It's also a good way to get the low down on a Chinese restaurant - any worth their salt will make their own. It's often not offered as a matter of course but it's always worth asking - especially if you're eating dumplings or noodles or something else it's likely to go well with. It's very addictive.

• 3 weeks later...
It's also a good way to get the low down on a Chinese restaurant - any worth their salt will make their own. It's often not offered as a matter of course but it's always worth asking - especially if you're eating dumplings or noodles or something else it's likely to go well with. It's very addictive.

I saw what looks like a very good recipe for XO sauce from the Lantern restaurant in Chapel Hill. Link for XO sauce

• 6 years later...

As the rule of thumb, most Chinese sauces that prepare in the kitchen such as XO sauce, Kam Heong (甘香)sauce, Keng Dou (京都) sauce etc can be kept in the chiller for about two weeks.  If you wish to keep them for a longer period, freeze the sauces and they will be good for at least six months.

My name is KP Kwan. I am a pharmacist turned restaurateur who lives in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I have worked in my restaurant more than ten years and since year 2012.

I am also a food blogger.  You can read my blog at http://tasteasianfood.com/

I am looking forward to learning and contributing topics about culinary skills in this forum.