• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in Portland '09

Hi Gulleteers,

I'm lecturing in Portland this weekend and am interested in restaurant recommendations in the downtown (I'm staying near the Lloyd Center) area. I've never been to the city, so if there are any can't miss situations, please weigh in....

...and thanks in advance....

Carlo

Carlo A. Balistrieri

The Gardens at Turtle Point

Tuxedo Park, NY

BotanicalGardening.com and its BG Blog

and that includes options for breakfast and lunch!

Let it rip...

We had superb meals at Toro Bravo and Le Pigeon when we were in town. We stayed near the Lloyd Center and Toro Bravo is very close by. There is a ton of excellent food in PDX so have an awesome visit.

You must have Breakfast at Podnah's Pit! It is straight forward, soulful food. The best biscuits and gravy in town and grits to dream about.

Lunch options are many and varied, lots of new sandwhich spots that are getting lots of attention-- Meat, Cheese, Bread being one of them, and Bunk being another. Bunk is chaotic and crowded and I think it's very Portland-y.

Also, there is a very special lunch to be had at a place called Evoe at Pastaworks. Definatly look into that.

As for dinner, Toro Bravo is a good recommendation, but just know that the wait is usually about an hour, so plan to have a drink upstairs while you wait. Pok Pok / whisky soda lounge is a really fun and delicious meal-- Thai street foods and generally yummy things. Great cocktails. So much more. . . beast is a great option, as is DOC, Paley's is classic, Clyde Common is pretty fun. . . Depends a lot on your own tastes, too.

Carlo,

If you want to stay within walking distance (or the free transit zone), Clyde Common and Park Kitchen downtown are very good bets. Bunk Sandwiches is also walkable (altho' the Morrison Bridge isn't as nice a river crossing as the Burnside or Hawthorne, so maybe a nice loop is the best approach). Nostrana, also on the close-in east side, is very good.

Farther afield, Toro Bravo, Ned Ludd, Navarre, Simpatica Dining Hall, and Por Que No are all good examples of why we eat so well here.

Full disclosure: most of my favorite restaurants are also olive oil customers, but that's why the food is so good.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

I'm here fairly often but never really have much time.

The Portland Farmers Market opens next Saturday, March 21, the earliest opening ever. I'll be there selling olive oil, salt, vinegar (maybe), olives, and, now, farro (from Bluebird Grain Farms in Winthrop, Washington).

I'm also open every Tuesday at my "warehouse," a glorified garage in SE Portland (9th & Main), from 4:30 to 6:30 pm.

Carlo...I missed the part about staying near the Lloyd Center. You can take the light rail (MAX) downtown from there for free. Unfortunately, there's not a lot within walking distance of Lloyd Center ( except Patisco, a new sandwich spot, on Broadway and NE 14th, or Foster & Dobbs, about 10 minutes walk farther north at NE 15th & Brazee).

Email me from my webs site if you have any questions about food.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

• 1 month later...