• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help with upcoming NYC trip!

Swicks

Thanks to all who contributed thus far, I really appreciate the help. Keep it coming, I'll update shortly with some more info as I sort out my itinerary.

Which would be a better high end lunch splurge, JG or EMP? Additionally, what are the attire requirements for these places? Jackets required? Are Jeans, a dress shirt, and dress shoes appropriate or is it more of a slacks situation?

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

I would say Jean Georges for lunch.

Jean Georges: For gentlemen, jackets required for dinner but not lunch. For lunch, they ask no sneakers or jeans.

EMP: For gentlemen, jackets not required but preferred. I wouldn't really wear jeans to EMP though.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, thanks again for all the advice here and on the other threads, in particular the JG thread.

I am thinking I might add another high end dinner to my trip, probably over the weekend, ideally sunday but my guess is a lot of the higher end places are not open sundays? If not I would have to choose another night

Ideally price wise I'd like to be at between $100-150 out the door.

I was thinking maybe EMP or the salon at Per Se, what are the thoughts here? What is the solo dining situation like at EMP?

Maybe Corton? Would it be very very hard to get in at this late juncture?

Maybe a walk in at Babbo?

What other places might I consider? A full tasting menu is not a necessity, especially given my price point.

Thanks!

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Hey everyone, thanks again for all the advice here and on the other threads, in particular the JG thread.

I am thinking I might add another high end dinner to my trip, probably over the weekend, ideally sunday but my guess is a lot of the higher end places are not open sundays?  If not I would have to choose another night

I was thinking maybe EMP or the salon at Per Se, what are the thoughts here?  What is the solo dining situation like at EMP?

Maybe Corton?  Would it be very very hard to get in at this late juncture?

What other places might I consider?  A full tasting menu is not a necessity, especially given my price point.

Thanks!

Per Se and Jean Georges are in a different league than EMP. Together with Le Bernardin, they are the best in the city . The Per Se salon menu is rather limited, though. The main dining room at jean georges is closed on Sunday.

Edited by sethd (log)

Per Se and Jean Georges are in a different league than EMP. Together with Le Bernardin, they are the best in the city . The Per Se salon menu is rather limited, though.  The main dining room at jean georges is closed on Sunday.

I disagree. I think that EMP is among the very best restaurant's in the city and highly recommend it. I feel as though I'm not totally alone on this.

For a similar style of French-y cooking, you might also consider Veritas or Picholine. The former has a nice bit of buzz around it with Pugin as chef. The latter has some pretty good value options that could presumably let you out the door on the lower end of your $100-$150 price range.

Corton is pretty baller, too.

If it was me, I'd be choosing between EMP and Corton, perhaps going with the latter because it's a bit more creative and a few dollars cheaper. If you want to factor in the room and service more heavily, perhaps my choice would flip.

Edited by BryanZ (log)

I am thinking I might add another high end dinner to my trip, probably over the weekend, ideally sunday but my guess is a lot of the higher end places are not open sundays?  If not I would have to choose another night

I was thinking maybe EMP or the salon at Per Se, what are the thoughts here?  What is the solo dining situation like at EMP?

Maybe Corton?  Would it be very very hard to get in at this late juncture?

What other places might I consider?  A full tasting menu is not a necessity, especially given my price point.

Thanks!

I'd highly recommend a tasting menu of fantastic modern tapas at Degustation, which is well within your budget for the meal, but they, too, seem to be closed on Sunday.

Michael aka "Pan"

I can highly recommend eating in the salon at Per Se, with two major caveats. First, the menu is limited, only about 8-10options, including one cheese, and two desert options. Second, it might be hard to keep the price of the meal under $150 with wine.

They have been quite good about updating the daily salon menu on the perse website.

Pain au chocolat and cafe au lait at La Bergamote (19th and 9th, and 52nd and 10th)

Good call, I second this. La Bergamote has a really laid back atmosphere to take a coffee and pastry, let alone the best croissants aux amandes in the city. I'd also consider Pâtisserie Claude for his butter croissant. Not so nice an atmosphere as La Bergamote; but very memorable pastries.

-Pizza - Do the well regarded spots such as Lombardis, John's of Bleeker, etc do slices or just whole pies?  Is DiFara worth the trip?  If I recall correctly they only do whole pies?

DiFara is absolutely worth the trip, just don't go on Monday when it's closed. You can get slices of the square or round pies, just make sure you sample them when they come right out of the oven ... and be careful not to burn your tongue !

I want to piggy back on this topic and ask which area of Manhattan would be best for bar hopping? I'd like to hit at least one of the cocktail places that are mentioned a lot on here and noticed that PDT and Death and Co are close to each other, but since I'll be going on a Saturday (tomorrow) night these places will most likely be mobbed, so I need backup. I'm not really looking to waste two hours in line if I'm unable to get a reservation, so I'm guessing that there's gotta be somewhere that we could easily bounce to if we can't get in.

What's the best area to roam from place to place to grab a few beers or cocktails? It does not have to be exclusively cocktails, as I'm more of a beer drinker, however I don't really discriminate when it comes to alcohol. We don't have any definitive plans, we're just looking to walk around and find a place or two where we can settle in a catch a nice buzz.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

What's the best area to roam from place to place to grab a few beers or cocktails?

If not the East village as you mentioned, Hell's Kitchen could serve you very well, between 42nd and 57th and 9th and 10th Avenues there are countless bars which would definitely do the trick. stay away from 8th avenue, it's almost all touristy bull

Oh yeah and the LES although I think there's kind of an age cutoff for how you might enjoy it

Edited by raji (log)

There’s (or there was) a bunch of authentic non-touristy dive bars on 7th st btwn 1st/ 2nd Ave. Blue and Gold is one of them. Everything from old-angry drunks to college kids. (Par for the NY experience). Specials like a shot and a beer for $5, etc and they don't get crazy packed. On the same street towards 3rd ave you have McSorleys. That is touristy but worth it if you’ve never been. Maybe some yakitori when you get hungy on St.Marks? Raji will tell you Kenka is one of the best. (All real close to PDT and D&C).

That wasn't chicken

Yea, I mean if you have a little time expand it to that whole area from 6th to 9th st btwn 3rd Ave and B (avoiding the St.Marks bars for the most part). You’ll find a million off the beaten path spots.

That wasn't chicken

There’s (or there was) a bunch of authentic non-touristy dive bars on 7th st btwn 1st/ 2nd Ave.  Blue and Gold is one of them.  Everything from old-angry drunks to college kids.  (Par for the NY experience).  Specials like a shot and a beer for $5, etc and they don't get crazy packed.  On the same street towards 3rd ave you have McSorleys.   That is touristy but worth it if you’ve never been.  Maybe some yakitori when you get hungy on St.Marks?  Raji will tell you Kenka is one of the best.  (All real close to PDT and D&C).

Well the man did say he was drinking. And the only thing remotely positive about Kenka is it is the cheapest you will find Kirin draft in Manhattan. Kirin's rep told me himself. I think it's still like $8 for a large pitcher.

If you're drunk enough you won't know the difference between Taisho and uptown yakitori. have at it!

dba is the best bar in the east village, bar none (rimshot!)

Edited by raji (log)

If you can't get into Death & Co or PDT, Angel's Share is a potential backup, as is the bar within Yerba Buena, but be warned that it's pretty small.

And you can always get on the waitlist for Milk & Honey, they'll text when a table is free:

http://milkandhoneynyc.com/

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

Actually, speaking of EV bars, is Decibel any good? I keep walking by it since it's just across the street from me, but have never actually gone in. I've also heard good things about a few of the wine bars in the area.

Actually, speaking of EV bars, is Decibel any good? I keep walking by it since it's just across the street from me, but have never actually gone in. I've also heard good things about a few of the wine bars in the area.

It was great back in the day when it was the only thing like it. Still the widest selection of sake below 34th, if that's your thing. Not sure if they ever updated for the shochu boom, I haven't been there in several years. Food was always only passable. Really depends on what your poison is...

Decibel was the greatest back in the day when it was the only place like that.

Still a great sake selection, though. And I'll bet the music is still great. I haven't been there in a few years, so I really can't say.

Food was never more than passable.

Oh, raji's already said all that.

You know I was thinking of mentioning Decibel. I remember my first experience (over 10yrs ago) like it was yesterday. A dimly lit, hidden underground sake bar that you had to be buzzed into. What could be cooler? And the idea that it was around the block from the St Marx hordes made it even more special. That place was/is special. For anyone who’s never been it should definitely be added to the list.

That wasn't chicken