• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Fee Bothers Whiskey Bitters

Dangermonkey

Just got the new Fee Brothers Whiskey Bitter ( release 3 or 2009) anyone have it or tried it yet?

Going to do a comparative review/taste test of it and the 2 previous releases to see how this one came out. Anyone else doing this?

The Pleasures of Exile are Imperfect at Best, At Worst They Rot the Liver.

Spirits Review.com

Here are my preliminary impression of the new bitters and a comparison of all three:

Very pronounced cinnamon, followed by ginger, ,gentian, angustora, cardamom, caraway, scents of bitter zest of bark and citrus oils (orange?) also. Nice lingering finish drying finish with fair amount of gentian and other bitter alkali herbs. Cinnamon is a touch much more aromatic, vanilla and orange/citrus are a bit more pronounced than batch one and two.

TASTING ROUND UP: Batch One (2007) is earthier with more angustora and bitter herbs with citrus on nosing, more bitter on tasting.

Batch Two (2008) is more subdued (and the most subdued of the three) with more clove and bark with ginger sweetnes and zest.

Batch Three (2009) has a lot more cinnamon and cassia notes, with a good deal of quinine like notes for finish

Spirits Review.com

Here are my preliminary impression of the new bitters and a comparison of all three:

Very pronounced cinnamon, followed by ginger, ,gentian, angustora, cardamom, caraway, scents of bitter zest of bark and citrus oils (orange?) also. Nice lingering finish drying finish with fair amount of gentian and other bitter alkali herbs. Cinnamon is a touch much more aromatic, vanilla and orange/citrus are a bit more pronounced than batch one and two.

TASTING ROUND UP: Batch One (2007) is earthier with more angustora and bitter herbs with citrus on nosing, more bitter on tasting.

Batch Two (2008) is more subdued (and the most subdued of the three) with more clove and bark with ginger sweetnes and zest.

Batch Three (2009) has a lot more cinnamon and cassia notes, with a good deal of quinine like notes for finish

I'm impressed! I'd never be able to identify all those components. Any suggestions where these could be put to best use?

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Batch Two (2008) is more subdued (and the most subdued of the three) with more clove and bark with ginger sweetness and zest.

I'm impressed! I'd never be able to identify all those components. Any suggestions where these could be put to best use?

Pisco Sours would be best I think.

Of course this type of bitter is widely used in a lot of different cocktails, this last release tastes the most like their regular Old Fashioned Bitter by the way (which is what this one is except aged in a whiskey barrel for one year). Manhattans and gin martinis are much improved with them - indeed bitters were considered a requirement for many drinks but many people tend to ignore them - although this seems to be changing a bit thankfully.

Also you can use it in cooking and baking.

Spirits Review.com