• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary picks and pans

CDRFloppingham

I was impressed that he gave Martha Stewart the props she deserves.

His attitude has changed drastically since he became a homemaker and father. I bet he's taken up crafting and scrapbooking as well.

Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

This particular piece is a great example of how much Bourdain has changed over the years: he doesn't call Emeril an Ewok, he gives props to Martha, and he is basically a very reasonable-sounding guy. Honestly, I'm always a little surprised to compare his current No Reservations episodes with the early ones, and especially with his early writing. While he started out hilariously irreverent, he was basically just a very funny jackass. He's slightly less funny now (because just being jackass is kinda funny in and of itself), but seems to have gotten past the schtick. I wonder how much of the transformation into a "Kinder, Gentler Bourdain" is due to his travels, how much to his family, and how much just to getting older (and hopefully wiser!).

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org