• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Prep Standard Sheet Question

LaneL

The place I was at didn't have one so I made one for my station and ended up making one for every station - I like organization. Some people did not want to use it (thought it was a nuisance), but I think it's a good idea especially if you rotate out with another person during the week. The prep sheet gives them an idea of what needs to be done.

We dont have a standard sheet but at the end of each night I just write all the apps and all the entrees and say "ok" for prepped or say what needs to get done. When I write it for someone else, I do the same but also give some indication as to how many proteins are out, how much of each component is out, so they can make their own decisions as to what needs to be prepped.

And I never trust someone elses prep sheet -- when starting a work week I always do a visual (and nasal) check and re-write a prep sheet.

Edited by turkeybone (log)

Rico

All of my stations are organized around prep sheets. Everything is done on excel so it it organized and clear. This includes the dishwashers station ( bathroom checks, restocking the c-folds ext.) As well there are weekly cleaning checklists and daily check lists. I find especially for new cooks it make the entrance transition easier for them, so they have a very clear view of what is expected of them. Its also good for specials. I can write a special late when all the cooks have gone home, give them plating, portion and recipe guidelines on their clipboard, and even If I am not there I know the special is going to turn out how I wanted it. I have also noticed that having a clipboard makes people feel important for whatever reason, so thats an added bonus.