• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Going to Belgium!

rickmartin

I'm taking a small group of folks to Belgium next month for a sampling of the local flavor. Funny thing is, I've never been to Belgium!! I have a pretty good itinerary set in place with all the usual suspects in Antwerp, Brugge, Brussels and Ghent but I need some insight on the lesser known beer bars, restaurants and food treasures in those places. I'm a chef at a microbrewery/restaurant so our goal is to have a complete beer and food experience while staying off the beaten trail and avoiding tourist traps when possible.

So, I'm looking for suggestions. Any and all will do.

Thanks, and I promise I'll be a better eG'er in the future!

RM

My boyfriend and I went to Belgium last fall... I'll try and give you some information later, when I have some time to put together information.

In the meantime, you should definitely check this page on Ratebeer - it was our resource for our trip.

And you MUST go to Kulminator in Antwerp. Try and bring a bottle or two of American beer for the owner. He (usually?) will give you something in exchange.

Edit:

You can also check BeerFly on BeerAdvocate.com, though it seems you need an account to see the results.

Edited by feedmec00kies (log)

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

• 1 month later...