• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

mousse or bavarian

devlin

but without having to use the actual berry....

Can either a mousse or a bavarian incorporate seedless raspberry preserves without too much trouble? Or is there a reason the actual fruit is invariably called for in a mousse or a bavarian?

I could use frozen raspberries, but I was going for a seedless thing, so really wanted to use seedless preserves. I considered the sugar factor, and so took it from there. The flavor was good (a mousse), but I think I should probably have added a little more gelatin. So, yeah, it worked fairly well.

I could use frozen raspberries, but I was going for a seedless thing, so really wanted to use seedless preserves. I considered the sugar factor, and so took it from there. The flavor was good (a mousse), but I think I should probably have added a little more gelatin. So, yeah, it worked fairly well.

you can get a much brighter flavor from using either fresh (in season) or frozen berries. if you run them through a food mill or chinois you can get a seedless puree. or you can actually just buy the frozen puree which is seedless and use that (the frozen purees usually contain about 5-10% sugar). of course, labor is expensive and so are the purees, but if you're buying with a wholesale account for your business you might get a good deal on the purees.

you can get a much brighter flavor from using either fresh (in season) or frozen berries. if you run them through a food mill or chinois you can get a seedless puree. or you can actually just buy the frozen puree which is seedless and use that (the frozen purees usually contain about 5-10% sugar). of course, labor is expensive and so are the purees, but if you're buying with a wholesale account for your business you might get a good deal on the purees.

Those are great suggestions. And a perfect reason to buy a chinois, which I've been hankering after for way too long now. Thanks.

Those are great suggestions. And a perfect reason to buy a chinois, which I've been hankering after for way too long now. Thanks.

also, with fresh or frozen, it might be a good idea to either blend (with a blender or stick/immersion blender) or lightly cook with some sugar the raspberries first to break them down. you'll get a much better yield of puree/fruit pulp that way. good luck!

also, with fresh or frozen, it might be a good idea to either blend (with a blender or stick/immersion blender) or lightly cook with some sugar the raspberries first to break them down.  you'll get a much better yield of puree/fruit pulp that way.  good luck!

Wouldn't the freezing break down the berries enough?

I hate the thought of cooking them and getting that jam-like flavor; YMMV.

also, with fresh or frozen, it might be a good idea to either blend (with a blender or stick/immersion blender) or lightly cook with some sugar the raspberries first to break them down.  you'll get a much better yield of puree/fruit pulp that way.  good luck!

Wouldn't the freezing break down the berries enough?

I hate the thought of cooking them and getting that jam-like flavor; YMMV.

they definitely break down as they defrost, but sometimes it's still difficult to get a good yield. thus, blend or cook lightly...in other words, heat just 'til broken down, don't boil, don't reduce.

• 2 weeks later...