• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

paint paint paint

cakemuse

Searched but did not quite find what I was seeking.

What have folks found the best (or close to) to paint fondant and gumpaste?

Paste and powder w/lemon extract?

Gel and extract?

Powder and extract?

Paste and extract?

Or??????

And which give the most opaque results?

I feel like I'm missing something...

"But you have no chocolate? My dear, how will you ever manage?"

-- Marquise d Sévigné

"If I knew you were comin' I'd've baked a cake, hired a band, goodness sake..."

I think it depends on what you're painting.

Luster dust/petal dust mixed with lemon extract dries quickly, either of these mixed with vodka takes a little bit longer to dry, but not forever.

Gel or paste colors painted on fondant or gum paste will stay tacky.

Airbrush colors will dry completely, and you can use them to paint in the same way you would the dusts/gels/etc.

If you are coloring flowers that are premade, you can use the dusts dry.

The opacity will be how much liquid (extract or alcohol) you add to the dust or gel or whatever... The more liquid you add to the dust, the more watercolorish your paint will be; the less you add the thicker it is and more concentrated the color.

HTH

I think it depends on what you're painting.

Luster dust/petal dust mixed with lemon extract dries quickly, either of these mixed with vodka takes a little bit longer to dry, but not forever.

Gel or paste colors painted on fondant or gum paste will stay tacky.

Airbrush colors will dry completely, and you can use them to paint in the same way you would the dusts/gels/etc.

If you are coloring flowers that are premade, you can  use the dusts dry.

The opacity will be how much liquid (extract or alcohol) you add to the dust or gel or whatever...  The more liquid you add to the dust, the more watercolorish your  paint will be; the less you add the thicker it is and more concentrated the color.

HTH

Hi Jeanne -

Thanks for your reply. So, airbrush/extract on fondant/gum paste works? I thought it might be too transparent to paint with. Have to give that a try.

I've worked with the petal dust - that is great. But I don't always need that sheen.

Thanks again!

-- Marquise d Sévigné

I mean you can do more than one coat if needed too.

For completely dry flowers, even ones that are already luster dusted (ex. leftovers)~~I dipped my flowers into a mixture of everclear and airbrush color--so easy so fast-- and I had a blow dryer ready to blow them dry in a nano second. I had some edible ink marker dots on some lilies and I was able to dip those 'pre-colored' flowers and get them dry before the ink ran. Fun.

I mean you can do more than one coat if needed too.

For completely dry flowers, even ones that are already luster dusted (ex. leftovers)~~I dipped my flowers into a mixture of everclear and airbrush color--so easy so fast-- and I had a blow dryer ready to blow them dry in a nano second. I had some edible ink marker dots on some lilies and I was able to dip those 'pre-colored' flowers and get them dry before the ink ran. Fun.

Great idea! I like painting designs on gum paste and fondant and have not done a lot with flowers, except in modeling chocolate.

But when I start, I will keep this in mind!

-- Marquise d Sévigné