• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yama Sushi - Near Death Experience - Please Read

sadistick

I fail to understand why other food boards decide to censor this topic.......

Thank goodness for EG.

This information MUST be shared so it never happens again!

Long story short -

After phoning ahead to let them know one of our diners was anaphylactic to peanuts and being reassured they do not use them, we headed out to this cheap sushi place for a quick bite.

They first brought out some salad, and after again, confirming with 3 different staff members, they said they make everything in house, and do NOT use peanuts - -

3 bites of salad later, said party's lips start to go numb, as does her tongue - at which point we dial 911 and administer her Epi Pen.

I ask to see this jar of sesame paste - second ingredient....peanuts.

Thank god she is still alive -

Please, I urge you to tell friends and family, stay AWAY from Yama sushi at Yonge and Sheppard (assuming I don't get them shut down in the mean time!)

Edited by sadistick (log)

Although I have tried to post this at other boards as well (CH) the dictatorship over there for some reason likes to delete posts without rhyme or reason.

This information MUST be shared so it never happens again!

Long story short -

After phoning ahead to let them know one of our diners was anaphylactic to peanuts and being reassured they do not use them, we headed out to this cheap sushi place for a quick bite.

They first brought out some salad, and after again, confirming with 3 different staff members, they said they make everything in house, and do NOT use peanuts - -

3 bites of salad later, said party's lips start to go numb, as does her tongue - at which point we dial 911 and administer her Epi Pen.

I ask to see this jar of sesame paste - second ingredient....peanuts.

Thank god she is still alive -

Please, I urge you to tell friends and family, stay AWAY from Yama sushi at Yonge and Sheppard (assuming I don't get them shut down in the mean time!)

Seriously noted. Having a dear family with a peanut allergy certainly makes this experience of yours frightening to hear of. I shall not even consider dining at Yama. Nor shall anyone even remotely considered to be in my dining circle. I'll get the word out -- something like this is intolerably irresponsible and deserves no sympathy.

Appreciate that Jamon.

What is even scarier, is after getting off the phone with an inspector from Toronto Health, apparently there are no laws against a restaurant doing something like this, and Toronto Health cannot do anything, let alone shut them down....so ridiculous.

I'm glad you were able to report this unfortunate incident, and I hope the patient recovers . This is the first reliable report I have heard about a serious reaction to peanuts, the rest was all media hype and overly-protective parents, in my uneducated mind.

Edited by jayt90 (log)

I'm glad you were able to report this unfortunate incident, and hope the patient recovers .  This is the first reliable report I have heard about a serious reaction to peanuts, the rest was all media hype and overly-protective parents, in  my uneducated mind.

Ch is overprotective, too.  They may be worried about repercussions, but the report should get out.

FWIW my post above on Buster Rhino was rejected, in a blander form, by CH. They told me that a possible visit to the kitchen, and possible special treatment by the proprietor, would make my review unacceptable. (From earlier banter in CH they were aware that the owner of Buster Rhino wanted to meet us,  but it was a benign, harmless visit.)

That does not surprise me one bit.

I am glad that I can get the word out - it has to be known - especially since now that I find that Toronto Health has no ability to do anything about restaurants and allergy issues?! Are you *(f(i%g kidding me?!!?

You are telling me a restaurant is allowed to remain open and serve food after so negligently nearly killing someone after reassuring them numerous times there are NO peanuts in their kitchen at all!

Please, pass the word -

Cheers.

I'm glad you were able to report this unfortunate incident, and I hope the patient recovers .  This is the first reliable report I have heard about a serious reaction to peanuts, the rest was all media hype and overly-protective parents, in  my uneducated mind.

I was uneducated before, too. I do not have a peanut allergy and do not know anyone who does, although I have a variety of fairly mild allergies myself, so I was a skeptic. My husband, who is a former medical researcher and always believed that parents overreacted, looked into it recently.

This is what he found in the medical literature: even a small exposure to peanut can cause full-fledged anaphylaxis. The difference between peanut and most other allergies is that it is more likely to happen fast and hard. And even if you do all the right things -- use an epi-pen immediately and get the patient to the hospital right away -- sometimes people just die, and there is nothing anyone can do. That is apparently what is unusual about the peanut allergy.

So yeah. Parents of peanut-allergic kids, and those who are allergic themselves, are paranoid. And yes, they are right to be so.