• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for Unique Pie

ravenshadow13

Avocado Pie tastes like a rich version of key lime pie (well, the ones I've eaten did.) The recipe above calls for lemon juice rather than lime, so YMMV. They were a big deal many years ago at the Santa Cruz Street Fair. Also called Jagger Pie, or Frog Pie.

I make a loquat pie. I just use loquats instead of apples or cherries and fake it. We have several loquat trees and the fruit is delicious so we couldn't let it go to waste or just to the birds. I am not sure they are available commercially but pies, preserves, clafoutis, crisps, crumbles etc. all get made with Loquats in our house.

a local diner in our new england area will sometimes serve "vinegar pie". i think that is unusual and also tasty and different. i don't have any specific recipe but you can google it to find some recipes if you are interested

The stencil is a great idea, you could also stencil a piece of pie dough and lay it over the top, instead of a lattice.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”