• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner advice en route from State College to Phill

chowfun

Sort of depends on your route and the time you want to eat. State College to Lancaster is about 2 hours or a little more. If that sounds like the right time frame I can help you out. If you want to take the turnpike from Harrisburg to Phila Lancaster is just a little bit out of the way. I'm not much help with Harrisburg tips

I need some dinner recommendations for a Friday night drive from State College to Philly.  We will be leaving at around 330 to 4pm.

Could you just leave earlier and eat in Philly? Then you have lots of choices!!

b

Having made that drive many, many times, I will second the advice to just wait until getting to Philly. You could also consider eating in Harrisburg, assuming you are taking 322 down to the turnpike, though the only place I ever ate there was the McDonalds along the freeway. :smile:

Edited to add: alternately, stay an extra couple hours in SCE and eat at Herwigs: excellent Austrian food, right off campus: I don't think you'll find anything like it in Phila.

Edited by Chris Hennes (log)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Sort of depends on your route and the time you want to eat. State College to Lancaster is about 2 hours or a little more.  If that sounds like the right time frame I can help you out. If you want to take the turnpike from Harrisburg to Phila Lancaster is just a little bit out of the way. I'm not much help with Harrisburg tips

I would be interested in Lancaster recommendations, though I would have to drive out of the way for that.

Anyone familiar with the Harrisburg area?

Sort of depends on your route and the time you want to eat. State College to Lancaster is about 2 hours or a little more.  If that sounds like the right time frame I can help you out. If you want to take the turnpike from Harrisburg to Phila Lancaster is just a little bit out of the way. I'm not much help with Harrisburg tips

I would be interested in Lancaster recommendations, though I would have to drive out of the way for that.

In Harrisburg, I think the best option is Mangia Qui, on North St. around the corner from 3rd(sort of across from the Capitol Building), or its upstairs sister, Suba, which serves small plates. A regional restaurant reviewer whose reviews are, I think, pretty reliable had very good things to say about Cafe Fresco on 2nd St., downtown. I can vouch for Blue Bistro in the 1300 block of 2nd, which has, among other things going for it, a good selection of wines by the glass.

In considering my reply I thought to myself, "Were in town would I drive 30 miles out of my way to eat at?" I'm not really sure I have an answer to that.

The best places in Lancaster, like, Carr's and Gibraltor are really good. But there are lots of towns with places just as good. There is no place here, like Morimoto, that would be worth that sort of trip.

But, if you want to come to Lancaster, my tips in this topic are really still validLancaster

The one recent addition to the Lancaster scene is Gusto

Gusto

I was there only once and it was not as good as I hoped for and other reviews have also been mixed. The chef, Ralph Macciano, is one of the best around and the owner Gus Photis comes from a family that has been in the business a long time. It was early on for them when I was in