• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Dream Kitchen

SobaAddict70

My real dream kitchen - Add a big center island where people can hang and some skylights - perfect

b3blue.jpg

Nice picture, but where do I store all my pots and pans, spoons, spices & herbs, spatulas, etc? One little vase next to the stove doesn't work for me. Looks like a lot of walking from point to point within the kitchen.

Add a center island, though, with overhead pot hangers, and it could work. At first glance, it looks like it was designed by people who don't (ever) cook.

Its a Viking display kitchen arranged to best highlight their products. I'm sure no one has ever or will ever cook in it. But it sure is purdy.

My 'dream' kitchen will always be a dream since I can not make up my mind on what I want and realistically can have. I love the look of stone floors but wood is far more practical and forgiving. I want two dishwashers, a double wall oven and separate gas range top but will have to sacrifice much needed storage and counter space. I want a Sub Zero but with a freezer on the top which they do not make. I hate bottom drawer freezers(whatever is desired is always under the frozen turkey) and side-by sides (no room for party trays)! And I can't decide if I want a kitchen table or a breakfast bar/island. So I just clip pictures and spend my kitchen remodeling money on food, tableware/ decor and cooking utensils.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

I might like the appliances in that Viking kitchen, but I would hate cooking in it- who wants to walk more than 2 steps from fridge to counter, etc???

I love my current galley-esque kitchen (open to the dining/living room) but want a second dishwasher, a separate freezer, the counters and stove raised 6 inches (I'm 6' 4") and the vent rasied accordingly. Six burners, a wood burning stove with rotisserie, a small wine fridge, a second sink, a built in coffee maker, and a breakfast counter long enough to actually eat breakfast on.

Cheers,

Charles

My real dream kitchen - Add a big center island where people can hang and some skylights - perfect

b3blue.jpg

Now is the time on Sprockets when we cook!!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I've always said that I want my dream kitchen to look and work like an autopsy room - super functional and so I can just hose it all down.

I've also always wanted a kitchen where I can set myself on fire - and not smoke up the rest of the house.

What I do not ever want - and don't really understand - are those social kitchens where people stand around and try to talk to you - or worse yet *help* - while I'm friggin' cooking!

And ditto my computer - with a high speed connection bien sur - but I've got to figure out someway to keep out - and off - the grease.

I might like the appliances in that Viking kitchen,  but I would hate cooking in it-  who wants to walk more than 2 steps from fridge to counter, etc???

I love my current galley-esque kitchen (open to the dining/living room)  but want a second dishwasher,  a separate freezer,  the counters and stove raised 6 inches (I'm 6' 4")  and the vent rasied accordingly.  Six burners, a wood burning stove with rotisserie,  a small wine fridge,  a second sink,  a built in coffee maker,  and a breakfast counter long enough to actually eat breakfast on. 

Cheers,

Charles

Charles,

For an NYC apartment, you've got a great kitchen. What you need is a bigger TV so you can keep up with all the sports on TV while cooking. :wink:

Mike

My dream kitchen would have two ovens - gas ovens! We have no gas hookup right now and electric is not as responsive. I'd also like someone to clean up after me when I'm done. That's the part that drives me to eat out instead of cooking in!

KathyM

Several people have mentioned wanting a second dishwasher. I'd love one too. More than anything, I'm looking for the flexibility to have prep dishes washing but still be able to load more dirty items as I generate them. Piling them up in the sink is just not a good option.

Recently, I ran across an ad for a Fisher & Paykel double drawer dishwasher (Web Site: Fisher & Paykel). It seemed ideal for my small kitchen--two independent washing drawers in the space of a single standard dishwasher.

I was intrigued enough to go look at one at a local dealer. Everything seemed good. The interiors of the drawers were remarkably large and the racks were reconfigurable to accomodate a variety of types and sizes of dishes. They also claim to be very quiet, although I was not able to run one to see. The only weak point I saw was that the racks are all plastic. They just don't look like they are built to last. I'd expect better in what otherwise appears to be a well designed and build product. Price is comparable to e.g. Miele.

Does anyone have any experience with F&P products? I love the concept, but I'd like to hear more feedback before I plunk down the cash.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code