• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Dream Kitchen

SobaAddict70

If you were as rich as Bill Gates, what would your dream kitchen be like? (This is assuming that the rest of the house came up to par.) Since this is e-gullet, I'm limiting the discussion to the room most suitable/appropriate to the site. (OK, the dining room is just as important, but comes in second place.)

Feel free to go down to the nitty gritty, if you like. That includes, choice of appliances, decorating color scheme, choice of whether to include an island or two, number of sinks, room for overhead pot racks, magnetic knife racks (as those I've seen in one particular egulleteer's home), skylight or other ventilation options, room for an herb garden, walk-in pantry, and accessibility/set-up for computerized options so that even culinary geeks like me or Jason P. can get their e-gullet fix in a jiffy. :hmmm:

The floor is open for discussion.

SA

I don't dream about my "dream" kitchen, as I am currently obsessed with Rachel' s kitchen! :laugh: If I were to visit, I would lie on the floor and stare up at the ceiling...since it has taken as long as the Sistine Chapel!

Having cooked in several rich people's kitchens I've found most of them to be too large for efficiency and too cluttered up with unnecessary appliances and gadgets. The big expense in creating my dream kitchen would be all the necessary insulation, ventilation, and fire-suppression systems necessary to allow me to install professional appliances, particularly the range and a broiler. There are a couple of appliances I'd double up on, like the dishwasher. But the room itself would be small. I don't like eat-in kitchens; I prefer a kitchen that opens out onto the dining area but is separate.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I don't dream about my "dream" kitchen, as I am currently obsessed with Rachel' s kitchen!  :laugh:  If I were to visit, I would lie on the floor and stare up at the ceiling...since it has taken as long as the Sistine Chapel!

Me too! Things have finally been taken out of the hands of the contractor that's taking too long. Not that things will be any faster now, but that's no reason to stick with someone who gives me too many excuses.

You don't want to stare at my ceiling, but the floor's really cool.

I'm in the process of designing my dream kitchen with construction slated to start in January. 2 ovens, a must! Cooktop, flush to the granite countertop (after much debate between gas and electric, I'm going to stick to what I know, electric). Ovens will be KitchenAid convection, cooktop, Thermador, Fridge is KitchenAid Supra my dream dishwasher is a Miele.

Island, absolutely, with a breakfast bar at the end. Space for the cookbooks I use all the time. Drawers that have two levels, pantrys with pull out shelves, a floor to ceiling (almost) spice rack cupboard). I'm having so much fun with this! Oh and for me, hardwood floors, and cherry cabinets.

Can't wait.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

i am going to design an area for a laptop (with a broadband connection obviously) close by if not central to the prep/cooking area. i find that i use the computer/internet for reference all of the time. of course, the laptop would have to be quickly and smartly concealed when not in use.

other than that, granite methinks, as least until i look into it, and without a doubt, the sink would be one of those undercounter deals. you know, where there is no lip...the granite just goes to the edge of the sink and stops. :wacko: yeah yeah, undermount undermount. that's the ticket, he said, sounding like a complete tool.

i might as well add the obvious...open into an eating area, with an island with seating separating the two...into a family room. with a pool table.

lights under the cabinets (poor lighting has plagued me forever).

With wi-fi and other wireless broadband technologies so cheap and available, it's a waste of time to hard-wire ethernet into a kitchen or anywhere else. Just get a wireless router/hub and the cards for each pc and you're all set. U.S. Robotics has a rebate offer right now that makes the wi-fi cards ring in at $34.99 if you order from Amazon (free shipping):

http://www.usr.com/rebate/11mbps/11mbps.asp

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

With wi-fi and other wireless broadband technologies so cheap and available, it's a waste of time to hard-wire ethernet into a kitchen or anywhere else. Just get a wireless router/hub and the cards for each pc and you're all set.

i'd imagine that's the way i'd go. i'm considering it now actually because i want egullet with me *everywhere*. :wacko:

Jason is going to figure out a way to get us on the Zaurus in a stripped-down version, eventually.

Soba my love,

My dream kitchen can be small. My current kitchen is super small and I still cook ten courses for thirty five people every passover, and never have a dinner party for under fifteen, even though I try to.

I think two or three ovens would be great. Two really big ones.

My grill is right outside the kitchen, but if I didn't live in L.A. I would want some kind of indoor grill.

And a wood-burning pizza oven.

And a super big freezer. A really big one. And really big frige and cold-storage.

Okay. I guess my small dream kitchen is getting larger...

I would want a huge food processor from Chef Toys, they run about 1500 dollars. The eleven quart cuisanart is not big enough.

And a mandolin, and a meat grinder (which are good even for making heirloom tomato soup), and huge stock pots, the kind we used at the restaurant where I used to work, and a big wooden counter for rolling out pastry, and lots of professional knives.

And super fancy stovetops with eight burners, and an industrial mix-master and an industrial ice-cream maker and pastry oven.

And a spit-fire rotisserie... I'm beginning to think I'd like a restaurant kitchen for my own kitchen...

But, really, the most important thing, not to sound super-cheesy, is that all my friends always hang out in my little while I'm cooking, (until I scream at them to get out) and it's those people, man, that make a kitchen a kitchen.

Friends are definitely, definitely, the most important part of a dream kitchen.

Lots of friends hanging around, talking, laughing, drinking wine...

Which reminds me, I would absolutely want a climate-controlled wine room.

Not in the kitchen, but since we're dreaming, I'm adding it.

-priestess

a big wooden counter for rolling out pastry

That would go in the separate pastry kitchen, though.

• 2 weeks later...
Behold my dream kitchen, and its right here in no kitchen to speak of,  Manhattan.MY DREAM KITCHEN

I saw this article too. I actually cut it out and saved it for future reference. One day my wife and I will redo our kitchen and I hope to poach a number of ideas off of McNally's kitchen. Of course I have to keep in mind facts such as my budget will most likely be much lower, my kitchen is about 1/8 the size, and I'll have to win the lottery first. Besides that I'm all set though. :wink:

Our kitchen is small, but it works. However, the Kitchen of My Dreams would include a few changes:

All countertops would be raised three inches. I'm 5'7" and can't imagine how really tall people can bear the pain of all that leaning.

Six burners. Gas.

Really good lighting.

A window greenhouse for herb plants.

A BIG and powerful vent over the stove.

Am armchair by a big window. Pretty sidetable for book, mug, etc.

A walk in pantry.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Our kitchen is small, but it works.  However, the Kitchen of My Dreams would include a few changes:

All countertops would be raised three inches.  I'm 5'7" and can't imagine how really tall people can bear the pain of all that leaning.

Six burners.  Gas.

Really good lighting.

A window greenhouse for herb plants.

A BIG and powerful vent over the stove.

Am armchair by a big window.  Pretty sidetable for book, mug, etc.

A walk in pantry.

You actually have countertops? Wow! Chicago kitchen--counters--amazing! My kithcn is actually the largest room in the housem but it's still inconvenient.I have counter space because I brought it with me. I do have a small walk-in pantry, which is nice and very handy.

My dream kitchen:

* I would also have the six burner gas stove with a hood.

*Crown molding

*dishwasher

*Subzero refrigerator/freezer

*Island w/under-counter freezer

*I also want a kitchen that's big enough for a couch and a comfy chair

*A desk w/computer.

*built in shelves for my cookbooks

*a large bay where my kitchen table would go

*a fireplace

I want to live in my kitchen

Aurora...how could I have forgotten the fireplace? I'll put it on the list right away!

We did live in our kitchen for a few years because the "dining area" is attached. We had a big funky couch, where our daughter, two cats and a dog spent her middle school/high school years lounging together, reading, doing homework and talking on the phone to her girlfriends. I remember that time fondly. Homework at the kitchen table.

Finally we reupholstered the sofa (you need to if you don't have a really good vent!) and moved it to the living room. End of an era.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

My real dream kitchen - Add a big center island where people can hang and some skylights - perfect

b3blue.jpg

Nice picture, but where do I store all my pots and pans, spoons, spices & herbs, spatulas, etc? One little vase next to the stove doesn't work for me. Looks like a lot of walking from point to point within the kitchen.

Add a center island, though, with overhead pot hangers, and it could work. At first glance, it looks like it was designed by people who don't (ever) cook.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo