• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Orlando Gems?

Randi

Anyone been to Todd English's bluezoo? I confess that Disney restaurants give me the willies, but perhaps I'm being unfairly judgmental.

We ate at bluezoo last year and we're going back again in a few months. It's definitely not a Disney-fied restaurant. The Swan and Dolphin seem to cater to the convention crowd, and not families on vacation. The restaurant has a modern, hip vibe. Cocktail waitresses in very short skirts. I remember the food, too. :biggrin: We did a 5-6 course tasting menu. I have the tasting menu around here somewhere, I'll post a few of the courses if I can find it.

Here's the menu, in case you haven't seen it:

http://allears.net/menu/menu_bz.htm

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.swandolphinmeetings.com/menus/restaurant_menus/bluezoo/

there is the current menu... I recently quit working there because I was offered a job at Victoria and Alberts at the Grand Floridian as well as other issues. But Chef Windus is a great guy, and is very knowlegable in the kitchen realm. I learned a lot from him during my two years there. However If I were to recommend anything from there it would have to be the swordfish, or the chefs tasting menu, which litterally changes daily. Read his blog for more info about the place and what he likes to do.

bluechefs.blogspot.com

p.s. ive worked at emerils, normans, bluezoo and victoria and alberts.

if you have any questions about any of those places hit me up...

local places to try out... ravenous pig, bluezoo, normans, sushi pop, dragonfly... those are my recommends. also for beer, try world of beer!! huge effin selections. also, tuesday nights, hit up bar louie for 1$ spectacular burgers!!! huge burgers! great flavor and buns are magnificent.

Edited by 317indy (log)

We did the tasting menu at Bluezoo again last week. The standout course was bacon and eggs--poached duck egg over cheese grits, with house smoked heritage pork bacon and bacon jus.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

• 8 months later...

Any updates? I have reservations at Ravenous Pig so far, and am very interested in Sushi Pop, but the added miles are a drag for those without cars.

What's the skinny on eating in the immediate convention center area? I know that they're all likely to be chains, but what chains are there? Any southern restaurants you can't find in the northeast?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts