• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Orlando Gems?

Randi

I will be attending a convention/gathering in Orlando in June. I've been asked to come up with some ideas for food-centric activities, and would love some ideas about possible destinations.

It can be as simple as the best burgers in town or as elaborate as a not-to-be-missed upscale dining experience. At this point I have just begun researching so I can take this in any direction.

We'll probably only get a chance to go off site once or twice, but I'd love it to be something memorable.

I would love any suggestions. Thanks!

p.s. If you have any ideas for goodies that can be delivered to the hotel, that would work too!

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

My recent meal at the Ravenous Pig was very, very memorable -- soulful, original gastropub food. Dishes that stood out: Texas redfish with mustard spatzle and roasted brussels sprouts, and fried chicken livers with a ridiculous chicken liver pate. Amazing. And fantastic house-cured meats, and cocktails. The menu will probably be super different in June, but I'm sure it'll still be totally awesome. :)

Thanks for the tip. It sounds great. How far would you say it is from the Orlando airport?

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Thanks, Robyn, I definitely will.

I am digging around the boards here for some other ideas too.

Edited by Randi (log)

Randi, you asked how far the Ravenous Pig was from the airport -- I honestly can't say, but you can Google map it to figure out the distance. One thing to be aware of, though -- the restaurant is in Winter Park, not Orlando, technically. The cross-streets of the restaurant (Orlando and North Orange) have the same names in Orlando as they do in Winter Park -- a confusing bit of information that we only discovered when we finally put "Winter Park" in our GPS system as we were driving there. :)

• 3 weeks later...

i live here in orlando, and from the airport to the "rav" is about 20-25 minutes. come in town, hop on 528 merge to the 417 merge to the 408 then take 408 to I4 then I4 to Princeton Ave. Then its only a few blocks away...

Or Just take 436(Semoran, which is the road that Airport is on) all the way to 408 then 408 to I-4 and I-4 to the same route...

• 1 month later...

Another vote for Ravenous Pig, but here in Winter Park we don't call it "The Rav." It's "The Pig," and we locals are so fortunate to have the Julie and James Petrakis here in town cooking for us! Besides the outstanding food, you can order any wine on their list by the glass. The vibe is always friendly; it's a very comfortable restaurant. You won't be disappointed, unless you can't get a table...

In that case, I'd recommend Luma on Park. The food has been more consistently good recently, and the swanky scene can be fun too.

Is the Ravenous Pig kid friendly? I don't mean "chicken fingers and mac and cheese on the menu", but would it be out of place to go with kids?

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

The restaurant is friendly and lively; I think it could work. I guess it depends on the kids and their ages and the time of day however. My kids have eaten there, but they were 11 and 13 at the time.

• 1 month later...

I like Charleys steakhouse if i'm in the mood for very nice meat! There arent too many burger places that I really like but Five Guys is always a good burger joint. Fish Bones is supposed to be really good too.

Thanks, everyone. We went to the Ravenous Pig on Thursday and everyone raved about it. There were 22 of us, so that's a lot of people to please.

I'll post food pics when I get home to NJ next week.

I'll give you another one -- one you have got to go to -- a real experience!!! I was there in January.

Taverna Opa -- I had never heard of it. Not that it's uncommon that I never heard of a place. Someone down here said this restaurant has a few locations in FL. I can't speak to the other locations -- but this place, in Orlando Pointe . . . HIGH ENERGY!!! Big Time!!! Stroll in, get seated and get ready for a party!!!

Big place, a few different rooms, and the main room is the heart of all the action. You've got big, long tables in the middle of the room for groups with big #'s, tables on the outskirts of the room up against the walls, a couple more rooms with more tables next to the big room, and very nice outside seating area -- almost cafe style. Very nice.

You've got high-energy music playing, some with a Greek flair -- and you better -- how else is the belly-dancer going to get her groove on!!! Then, you have the staff doing the Greek version of the horah throughout the restaurant, grabbing patrons by the arm and prompting them to get up and join them!!! Then, you have staff and patrons DANCING ON THE TABLES!!!

This place was great!!!

OK -- right -- the food? Yes, there was food. LOL. The food was very good. This place has their version of the bread course -- hot pita served with hand-crushed chick peas, garlic and oil (done in a mortar and pestle right there, tableside). It was very good. A very nice touch. From the appetizers, right to the entrees. Everything was very good, traditional Greek, not cookie-cutter or fast-food'ish at all. Really good food.

Check this place out. I would certainly go back. Here's the link:

http://www.opaorlando.com/

Enjoy!

Eric

By the way -- Christini's is one of my favorite restaurants. Great food, great service, top notch all around. Everything is excellent. I truly look forward to going. An excellent experience in fine dining.

• 1 month later...
Is the Ravenous Pig kid friendly?  I don't mean "chicken fingers and mac and cheese on the menu", but would it be out of place to go with kids?

Answering my own question...The RP is fine with kids. We ate there last week, and it was a great meal. The kids had shrimp and grits, linguini with clams and sausage and lobster tacos. My wife and I both had the red snapper. Service was great. Nice beer and wine list. A bit of a hike from the Disney resorts (probably 35 minutes), but worth the drive.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

• 3 months later...

My recent meal at the Ravenous Pig was very, very memorable -- soulful, original gastropub food. Dishes that stood out: Texas redfish with mustard spatzle and roasted brussels sprouts, and fried chicken livers with a ridiculous chicken liver pate. Amazing. And fantastic house-cured meats, and cocktails. The menu will probably be super different in June, but I'm sure it'll still be totally awesome. :)

Yes, agreed. I enjoyed this place on my last visit to Orlando.

Fine dining and Orlando are hard to put in the same sentence. But I really liked this Japanese restaurant. Pretty close to the convention center. Elegant - and not inexpensive. IOW - not your normal tourist trap. I haven't been in about 4 years - so I would check current reviews. Robyn

I've been there numerous times -- pretty much each and every time I visit Orlando. It was rated (perhaps by Zagat's) as one of the top sushi places in the US. I don't remember where I read it but I do think it's on their website.

Anything new and exciting in Orlando? I am getting ready to head down there, twice in the next 8 weeks or so.

What about Norman's (Ritz Carton)? I've wanted to go but haven't. How about Roy's?

Thanks.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When I said I couldn't compare it to other places in Orlando, I meant that literally. The place we stay has a kitchen, I cook most of my own meals (admittedly, a lot of PB&J on this trip, not here long enough to do anything real): The Ravenous Pig is literally the only local restaurant I have eaten at. My meal there last night was quite good: I think their Gruyere Biscuits are overrated, heavy, and overwrought, but the charcuterie tray, shrimp and grits, and steak frites were all very good (in particular the steak, which was a very flavorful cut from Niman Ranch). The cocktails were OK as well.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org