• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pigs fly

Florida Jim

I would never have guessed:

2007 Castle Rock, Pinot Noir Mendocino County:

13.8% alcohol and about $12. A young, well-made, balanced pinot noir that is not only varietally correct but also of its place; it has that crackling black fruit scent and flavor I associate with the Anderson Valley and Mendocino; very light touches of milk chocolate and spice; this is clean, ripe, graceful, distinctive and will likely last several years in the cellar. In weight and texture this reminds a little of a village Chambolle from a good producer.

2006 Moon Mountain, Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma County:

13.9% alcohol and about $19. A young, very pure Bordeaux blend that smells and tastes like it has never seen oak. However, it has 18 months in barrel, 20% French, 80% American and 30% new – which proves to me that a good winemaker knows how to use barrels without over-using them. It’s intense, concentrated, varietally correct, has some complexity, good depth and substantial grip. I think its structure requires five years or so in the cellar to resolve but I am semi-shocked to find this exceptional a cabernet from CA.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com