• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weetabix

melonpan

I am only familiar with the original "regular" weetabix and they're not that sweet.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

going shopping but before i go i wanted to know if anyone can please tell me what weetabix is like.  is it sweet?  or not?  or mildly sweet?

thanks in advance!

Think wet cardboard and your just about there.

Smell and taste are in fact but a single composite sense, whose laboratory is the mouth and its chimney the nose. - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

Mildly sweet, slightly malty flavoured, and extremely soggy. Nothing else tastes quite like a bowl of wheetabix. If the sogginess is offensive you can put butter on them and use them like a fat cracker.

I'd say they are mildly sweet, and I quite like them dipped into a glass of milk instead of in a bowl with milk poured over. It you eat them dry, they do tend to produce fine flakes if you bite into them, because of the fine crumbly texture.

They are not unlike Post Shredded Wheat.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

LOL!  I never knew wheetabix was a human foodstuff.  I've seen many references to it in old books on raising greyhounds in the UK.  I thought it was some sort of dog kibble.

My wife really likes Weetabix and asked for some at a friends house in Scotland. Our friend said she only fed them to their dogs.

Tim

I buy it but don't care for it as a cold cereal, I like it as a hot cereal - somewhat like Ralston or Wheatena, which are not easy to find in my local stores now, unless I am willing to buy a case.

I also used to buy Ruskets - a Loma Linda Foods product but they disappeared many years ago.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

If you are gentle and the butter is soft, you can butter and jam then and then dip them in cream.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Mmmmmm weetabix :biggrin: Love it. The best way to stop it going soggy is to eat it with very cold milk (and caster sugar) and eat it really fast. Also delicious spread with salted butter and marmalade. Try it with golden syrup.

I used to feed it to puppies but found it had too much roughage... with unfortunate results!

Tis very healthy stuff - without the butter etc - as it is made with 100% wheat. The new oat one is VILE.

Maybe I'm alone, but I love Weetbix. My favourite way to eat it is with hot milk, brown sugar and sliced banana - but you have to eat it FAST, because otherwise it will soak up all the milk and turn into a weird immovable block that hurts your stomach and is like glue in your throat.

It's also nice mixed with other cereals.

• 1 month later...

Weetabix is one of the few breakfast cereals available in US grocery stores that is actually worth eating. It's whole grain.

I eat Weetabix when I am getting short of Jordan's Fruit and Nut Muesli, which I have my family bring by the suitcase full, whenever they come from UK. I would love to know the recipe to mix it myself. Anyone have any suggestions?