• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cutting caramels

Chocolot

Everyone advised me not to cut caramels on my guitar or I would break wires. I just got my Dedy last month and sure didn't want to mess anything up. I made 2 frames of caramel, one plain and one with Marcona almonds in it. I cut and dipped the Marcona caramel the other day. I kept looking at the plain caramel and decided today was the day. I took it to my chocolate room to cut and kept looking at my guitar. The caramel was soft, but holds its shape. My intent was to use the guitar frame to mark each end so I could cut straight. As I pulled the handle to mark, it just kept sliding through the caramel!! I removed the slab and cut it in half so it wouldn't have to work as hard then I just let it cut through the caramel, using its own weight. I did bottom the bottom and top of the slab before marking. I think by coating both sides, the caramel stays a little more square. Anyway, the guitar cut through the caramel without a snag. YIPPEE!!! I hate cutting caramels. I did have to separate the pieces so that they didn't glue themselves back together. They dipped wonderfully and kept a nice square.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Hi Ruth,

I tried this, too, a few weeks ago with the Wybauw "rework" caramels. Seemed to work just fine with my Dedy, though I was uber-nervous while actually cutting.

The cuts were very clean and dipping went well. This batch of caramels was a tiny bit firmer than my usual - the tops were slightly rounded but the effect was not unpleasant.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”