• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO sweet and sour sauce recipe

mhadam

Here in Canada I tend to think of chicken balls in a neon orange or an unnaturally red coloured sickly sauce. But I know of at least two people who will order nothing else from a “Chinese” menu. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

54 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Here in Canada I tend to think of chicken balls in a neon orange or an unnaturally red coloured sickly sauce. But I know of at least two people who will order nothing else from a “Chinese” menu. 

Yes. That sounds exactly like what I thought was 'Chinese' sweet and sour until I arrived in China. One of the very many misconceptions that soon got bust.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Yes, that's the sort of sweet and sour I was referring to, the neon gloop, but without being so neony or gloopy, a "nice" version.  I wasn't thinking of battering the chicken, frying it a bit, letting it cook in its own juices or with a bit of moisture added and then stirring into the sauce, the sauce being a requirement, not just a coating on the chicken.

• Haha 1

It’s not so much a recipe, but a general method:

One part vinegar, one part 100% fruit juice (orange, cherry, mango, pineapple, …). Half a part ketchup to give some body if going in the „fake Chinese direction“ or bag juices / stock from your desired protein for a more classic approach. Sugar to taste (depends on fruit juice, just go by taste), all whipped together and brought to a boil for half a minute or so …

A thickener of choice (flour/butter, cornstarch, …) added and brought to the desired thickness. 

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 1