• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

next trendy food?

Perhaps a maven, a marketer and a connector could make nutria the next big thing. We've got an overabundance of them here in Louisiana. Come and get 'em. Cheap!

something tells me that nutria just ain't gonna fly :wink:

Oh, the fun of living in Uruguay! I have in fact eaten nutria. I did not know what a nutria was at the time. they explained it as like a beaver. I would have gone more with "giant rat" in retrospect. That said, I don't remember particularly disliking it. My palate was also jaded, as we at a lot of really nasty things in Uruguay, so I think something that easy to eat and not stuffed with ham and cheese was a welcome change.

Gnomey

The GastroGnome

(The adventures of a Gnome who does not sit idly on the front lawn of culinary cottages)

I'll second Rabbit (definitely) and Goat (I hope!). I've seen rabbit pop up in a number of fine-dining spots in Pittsburgh, all at once. Of course, this would be the first time we've led any food trend.

I'm seeing goat in ethnic markets - maybe it's always been there, but they really seem to be advertising it now. I've also seen it on the menu at two Indian restaurants, where previously it was a rare special. Tandoori goat chops are amazing.

Oh, the fun of living in Uruguay! I have in fact eaten nutria. I did not know what a nutria was at the time. they explained it as like a beaver. I would have gone more with "giant rat" in retrospect. That said, I don't remember particularly disliking it. My palate was also jaded, as we at a lot of really nasty things in Uruguay, so I think something that easy to eat and not stuffed with ham and cheese was a welcome change.

Do you have a giant rat recipe you would like to share with us? perhaps Nutria d'orange?

Cheers, Sarah

http://sarahmelamed.com/

Per Nutria:

Nutria sauce piquant

Nutria sauce creole

Nutria sauce bordelaise

These are the versions I've had. All as good as the sauce. and the copious amounts of beer. i dont think anyone could come up with a marketable approach for this one outside of adventurous eating.

Ah yes. Just ate a ton of goat yesterday at my favorite Pakistani restaurant; love it. Rabbit, too, though I don't find many places serving it. Good choices.

Bill Nieman is all about the goats these days. BN Ranch is what its marketed under. He no longer has control over his pork/beef thats marketed under Nieman.

I can see goat being big just because of his reputation.

I've heard a few chefs who, while grousing that "anyone can braise pork belly," want to return attention to quality preparations of loins, tenderloins, chicken breasts, fish filets -- the sorts of proteins that are, according to one person I heard, unforgiving and thus require more skill.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

As long as whatever it is means that goat cheese is no longer on every salad ever made, I'm all for it. That was a trend that never should have happened.

As long as whatever it is means that goat cheese is no longer on every salad ever made, I'm all for it. That was a trend that never should have happened.

What will we do with the Raspberry Vinaigrette then?

Lamington, I don't know about brownies, but what about lamingtons?

A good point, gingerbeer! I've seen an article in WSJ and I know they're selling in unexpected places like Manila... lamingtons taking the world by storm...

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."

Beans?  Cheap source of protein, adaptable throughout the seasons.

Rancho Gordo Beans cause a stir here. Article in the NYTimes

NY Times

Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon, or not at all.

Beans?  Cheap source of protein, adaptable throughout the seasons.

Rancho Gordo Beans cause a stir here. Article in the NYTimes

NY Times

I just thought of those earlier, after a Cooking Light article on the next 5 big things. One chef said something to the effect of "well, everybody can get them now, so they aren't a big deal".

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, but now it's feta, so salty it makes your ears ring!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

• 3 weeks later...

FATS.

While I think the whole fad diet and health craze is to last for quite awhile, I believe there will be a desire to return to traditional, hearty fare where it's not so much about appearance and style but FLAVOUR...which is where fats come in to replace oil in a lot of dishes.

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

• 3 weeks later...