• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Handmixers

Darienne

I am in deepest Utah in a town without too many shopping options...that's why we love Moab...and my Black & Decker handmixer just gave up the ghost. :sad: I have a 7-quart Cuisinart standmixer at home. This is my traveling mixer.

Within a day or two at most I must buy another hand mixer. Any suggestions? Keeping in mind that there are not many brands of kitchen appliances to be found here. No Wal-Mart, just an Alco and an idependent called Walker Drugs. :rolleyes:

Thanks for any help. :shock:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I had an el cheapo hand mixer that I could only use for whipping cream or egg whites. It wouldn't as much as cream butter and sugar together for making, say, cookies. I had to drag my KA stand mixer out to do that. After listening to me curse it (the cheap one) numerous times, my husband bought me a kitchen aid. It is a wonderful machine and can do pretty much anything. I love it.

All I can say in defence of my Black & Decker is that it is the most powerful of the cheapies...but then I have to add that I have burnt out two of them in the last year. Whereas our very old...can't remember what it is...one is ugly and unloved but it keeps on going. It's at home...

So I shall look for a Kitchen Aid mixer. Today. Need it for tonight's dinner=dessert. Cheese Blintz Souffle.

Thanks to you both.

And if I can't find a KA, will buy one when we get home again. :wink:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

All I can say in defence of my Black & Decker is that it is the most powerful of the cheapies...but then I have to add that I have burnt out two of them in the last year.  Whereas our very old...can't remember what it is...one is ugly and unloved but it keeps on going.  It's at home...

So I shall look for a Kitchen Aid mixer.  Today.  Need it for tonight's dinner=dessert.  Cheese Blintz Souffle.

Thanks to you both.

And if I can't find a KA, will buy one when we get home again. :wink:

Any thrift stores in town? The old GE hand mixers will last forever!!

If you weren't in such a hurry, I'd suggest the KitchenAid factory outlet: www.shopkitchenaid.com and click on the "outlet" tab.

Amazingly enough we found more handmixers than we thought possible :wacko: : KA, Proctor Silex, Black & Decker, Farberware, Hamilton Beach, West Bend, and a couple of basically no-namers.

All the mixers were $15 - $27 ...except for the KA which was $70. HOWEVER while all the inexpensive mixers listed their wattage from 125 at the bottom end to 275 at the top, the KA did not, but listed .6 Amperage which my DH says is nada. A West Bend stand mixer on sale for $70 listed its amperage at 3 amps. Now, says my DH, that might be worth buying.

I borrowed my next-door-neighbor's ancient Sunbeam for last night's dessert=dinner, and she offered to lend it to me the entire time we are here. Funny how the ancient ones just keep plugging along and the new fandangled ones burn out over mixing water it seems. :angry:

I don't know what to do... :sad:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Any thrift stores in town?  The old GE hand mixers will last forever!!

True, at least in my case. My GE is at least 25 years old. I'd like something less homely, but it just won't break.

Amazingly enough we found more handmixers than we thought possible :wacko: : KA, Proctor Silex, Black & Decker, Farberware, Hamilton Beach, West Bend, and a couple of basically no-namers.

All the mixers were $15 - $27 ...except for the KA which was $70.  HOWEVER while all the inexpensive mixers listed their wattage from 125 at the bottom end to 275 at the top, the KA did not, but listed .6 Amperage which my DH says is nada.  A West Bend stand mixer on sale for $70 listed its amperage at 3 amps.  Now, says my DH, that might be worth buying.

I borrowed my next-door-neighbor's ancient Sunbeam for last night's dessert=dinner, and she offered to lend it to me the entire time we are here.  Funny how the ancient ones just keep plugging along and the new fandangled ones burn out over mixing water it seems. :angry:

I don't know what to do... :sad:

0.6 amps @ 110 volts = 66 watts, such a small number (in comparison the the competition) that it's no wonder that KA wants to disguise it. On the other hand, these are all describing power consumption, not power output, which, as a cook, is what should concern you. Much depends on the efficiency of the mechanical design. It's very possible that a KA could outperform any of the others, for the same reasons that a 189 hp Lotus can beat the pants off a 300 hp Mustang GT.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Any thrift stores in town?  The old GE hand mixers will last forever!!

True, at least in my case. My GE is at least 25 years old. I'd like something less homely, but it just won't break.

.6 amps @ 110 volts = 66 watts, such a small number (in comparison the the competition) that it's no wonder that KA wants to disguise it. On the other hand, these are all describing power consumption, not power output, which, as a cook, is what should concern you. Much depends on the efficiency of the mechanical design. It's very possible that a KA could outperform any of the others, for the same reasons that a 189 hp Lotus can beat the pants off a 300 hp Mustang GT.

If there is one thing Moab has that is wonderful, it's the thrift stores :wub: ... However, in all the years visiting Moab...or our home town in Ontario, I have never seen even one second hand hand mixer. Stand mixers...a few ancient ones...but nary a hand mixer. I think hand mixers just die a lonely unmourned death.

I did as much research on this one as I felt it deserved, and then the DH went out and bought me a Hamilton Beach hand mixer for $24.99. 6 speeds...more than sufficient. 275 watts...who knows? A pig in a poke.

Waiting for me at home is new 1000 watt 7-quart Cuisinart. DH likes big. :biggrin::biggrin: Not much point in fighting it. :wink:

ps. as noted earlier, we also have a very ancient hand mixer at home which also refuses to die.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

The 6-speed Hamilton Beach mixer received a "not recommended" in Cook's Illustrated's equipment test, as did Dualit Professional and Farberware Preferred.

KitchenAid 7-speed, Braun Multimix 4-in-1, and Cuisinart 7-speed all received "highly recommended".

Black and Decker PowerPro and Oster 6-speed were "recommended".

I'd return your HB and get the B&D or Oster--both should be in the same price range.

The 6-speed Hamilton Beach mixer received a "not recommended" in Cook's Illustrated's equipment test, as did Dualit Professional and Farberware Preferred. 

KitchenAid 7-speed, Braun Multimix 4-in-1, and Cuisinart 7-speed all received "highly recommended".

I'd return your HB and get the B&D or Oster--both should be in the same price range.

Thank you so much for that information. The mixer has not been used yet and I'll tell my DH what you said. We had only Consumer Reports to go by and that information was not in it.

We can't get Braun, Cuisinart or Oster in Moab, and I am not sure which B&D model it is which is available. (That's the one which just burnt out after one year. I think I was not aware of just how restricted in use these hand mixers are)

Price is not the problem with the KA...if it is the 7 speed one...DH does not like the amperage thing.

However it plays out, thanks so much for the information. :smile: I'll note the "Cooks Illustrated" from now on. CR is not the best for kitchen stuff. Its ratings criteria are not always really applicable.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I really wanted a KA based on research but cheaped out and bought a very nice Oster (I think that is a Sunbeam?) I've kicked myself ever since. The biggest problem is the lowest speed is way too fast. I was used to having the ability to incorporate dry ingredients without them flying out of the bowl - almost impossible with this speed demon.

Go KA!

I really wanted a KA based on research but cheaped out and bought a very nice Oster (I think that is a Sunbeam?) I've kicked myself ever since. The biggest problem is the lowest speed is way too fast. I was used to having the ability to incorporate dry ingredients without them flying out of the bowl - almost impossible with this speed demon.

Go KA!

Thanks tsquare. One more piece of information. My last two (burnt-out) hand mixers have been B&D and the lowest setting on them was the same as the one you describe on your Oster/Sunbeam/?. Live and Learn.

I'm going to have to convince my DH that numbers of watts and amperage is not the only thing to go by. It seems that EVERYONE says...go forth and purchase the KA. OK. :wink: (I need more smiley faces available for my moods :rolleyes: )

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Before running out and getting the KA, just remember that there are 4 different models to KA hand mixers...CI didn't compare the differences between these models, and as far as I can tell, they only tested the 7 speed (Ultra Power Plus)

Difference between KA models

Thanks for steering me to the comparison table. Unfortunately the information was all pretty superficial as one would expect when KA is trying to sell them all.

I remain in hand mixer confusion for now...am still pondering it all.

The problem remains that although Moab appears to have a fairly large number of different hand mixers, they are all older models. Furthermore the CR listings are only up to 2005. Tomorrow I go to the library which says it holds Cook's Illustrated. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Any chance you could give me the year or even issue of Cook's Illustrated? The Moab library lists the periodical in its holdings and I'll go tomorrow to see if I can locate the equipment test.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Darienne, I think it's December 2006. With the Cook's Illustrated website, you can not necessarily get the article (unless you subscribe to their on-line service), but if you do a search, it will let you know in what issue it was published.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I have to add a shout out for the Braun Multi-Mix. It's got 220 watts, which I guess isn't particularly hefty, but....

It has, at leat the model I have, the capability to be not only a hand mixer (and a pretty decent one, at least the times I've actually used it for that...) but also...

---an immersion blender (there's an attachment and a cup you can use, although today I used it in a pot on the stove)

---a mini food processor (again, another attachment and a little bowl and blade, great for small quantities of herbs, pesto, etc.)

And it comes (came?) with dough hooks. Now I seriously doubt it has enough gas to actually knead bread dough, but still...

I have a traditional blender and a Cuisinart. I have held off buying a big immersion blender because this thing has so far taken care of all I'd want/need from that tool.

The blender/processor options make it a winner in my book. I think I paid less than 50 bucks for it when I got it, and it's hung in there for at least 10 or so years. I *do* think Braun still markets something similar. Worth checking out, or at least thinking about.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

:wub::wub: Thank you all for all that incredible information...especially for the reviewing organizations I had never heard of before...very new to this area of endeavor.

Ed bought me the Hamilton Beach 62695 a couple of days ago, and we still haven't used it. But after all the reading and investigation, I think we'll just keep it. I need a hand mixer daily. Back to making ice cream today.

We are two hours away from the nearest shopping area (and $50) and all the other handmixers which we have found in Moab are of the discontinued and lower quality nature, for instance, there is only the KA 5 speed which gives no more value than the HB. And there is no Cuisinart, no Braun, no Oster. You pay for the red rocks in the lack of shopping. Tourists don't buy handmixers.

This is not worth driving myself crazy any longer. I'll get a KA top quality when this one gives it up.

Again, my grateful thanks to you all. :wink:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Why not have Amazon send you the KitchenAid? Here's a link that will get you the mixer for 60 bucks, and garner a few pennies for the eGullet Society (at no extra charge to you): KA 9-speed. At that price, I'm pretty sure they ship for free.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Why not have Amazon send you the KitchenAid? Here's a link that will get you the mixer for 60 bucks, and garner a few pennies for the eGullet Society (at no extra charge to you): KA 9-speed. At that price, I'm pretty sure they ship for free.

OK. I followed your "Do ten things to help eGullet" and the information there still doesn't tell me what to do to get them to attach my order to eGullet. I am not very computer savvy. :sad:

Edited many minutes later: I see now that you gave me the 'eGullet' link to get the mixer. After much frustration, many errors on my part, I finally concluded business by ordering one KA machine. Oh my. :wacko:

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 2 months later...

(I did buy the KA hand mixer through Amazon.com while in the States.)

Now we are home and I am using the old hand mixer to make fruit pancakes for breakfast. And I thought I would just write a short note celebrating our old handmixer.

The case is cracked and it has only three speeds and no whisk. Some of the paint is gone and chipped. It is old and ugly. The mixer is SOOOO old that it is a GE, made in Barrie, Ontario, CANADA with all metal gears. The model # is M7A which is, of course, untraceable. I cannot recall how long ago Canada had a manufacturing sector.

And it still runs like a dream after at least 35 or 40 years. And in the meantime I have burnt out at least 3 Black & Deckers in the last two years.

Go figure. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.