• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Airport food in Oz & Enz

I was reading somewhere (that I now can't find) about the quality of food in airports in New Zealand, from the grab-a-sandwich food bar to the sit-down restaurant.

Several people commented that regional airports did it better, but some of the examples were not the kind of thing I'd want before an early-morning check-in or after a flight before facing the phone and rental car counters.

So do airports deserve a bad reputation, or is there just a mismatch between suppliers and consumers? When I think about the notorious sandwich pack, I realize that 1) I don't want to waste my limited time queueing up again at another place to get a drink, and 2) some people want a hearty meat pie, while others want something small, light, and interesting...but wherever the people are who want two gigantic limp sandwiches that look different but taste the same, they aren't at the airport!

Any comments on regional domestic airports? Rotorua used to have exactly one small foodbar...don't remember any food or drink service at Bay of Islands (Kerikeri)?

And any places at specific airports that travelers should make a beeline for?

I'll be making several trips to and from Auckland airport later in the month, and my 3 year old memories are a bit hazy - I bet I'm not the only one who'd appreciate hearing more up to date opinions!

Many of the Australian airports are owned by infrastructure funds (like Macquarie Airports), so the overriding factor is to get as much money out of the airport users whilst trying to minimise their own costs.

So, when it comes to Australian airports, expect to pay a lot for crap food.

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

Many of the Australian airports are owned by infrastructure funds (like Macquarie Airports), so the overriding factor is to get as much money out of the airport users whilst trying to minimise their own costs.

So, when it comes to Australian airports, expect to pay a lot for crap food.

Try the restaurants at the Qantas First Class Lounges (Sydney or Melbourne), which are run by a team of cooks from Rockpool. You can build up your own tasting menu (cooked to order) matched with wines, and best of all, you don't pay any more apart from the price of your ticket. They do a great asparagus with jamon, and sticky date pudding.

For the sake of being PC in these times, I hasten to add that I can't actually afford to fly first-class, so do as I did and try travelling with someone who has Qantas Platinum status or equivalent on OneWorld.

Julian's Eating - Tales of Food and Drink

Try the restaurants at the Qantas First Class Lounges (Sydney or Melbourne), which are run by a team of cooks from Rockpool.  You can build up your own tasting menu (cooked to order) matched with wines, and best of all, you don't pay any more apart from the price of your ticket.  They do a great asparagus with jamon, and sticky date pudding.

For the sake of being PC in these times, I hasten to add that I can't actually afford to fly first-class, so do as I did and try travelling with someone who has Qantas Platinum status or equivalent on OneWorld.

It's not PC to be wealthy enough to get into the Qantas First Class Lounge? Still, it sounds great and I'll keep your travelling tip in mind.

Anyway, I would think that with the cost of a first class ticket/Qantas Platinum membership, if you timed your flights properly, it might be cheaper just to catch a taxi to Rockpool, have lunch or dinner, and then catch a taxi back for you connecting flights.

On airline food though, the stuff you get in cattle class is dreadful. But in the few times I've received an upgrade (it was with Cathay Pacific), the food has been very good.

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

• 5 weeks later...

Hah! Auckland airport is undergoing renovations to the eating area, which have succeeded mostly in driving everybody to Macdonald's to avoid a stunning view of the back of the porta-bank money exchange shack slapped in the middle of the departure gate concourse.

However, the better choice seems to be the Downunder Cafe - again, they had a better thought-out range of items for tired and jetlagged travelers. I often hear that the Aoyama sushi and noodle bar is one of the better options, but haven't tried it.