• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Did I just get taken on EBay?

Matt_T

I just unpacked a saute pan I bought on EBay. It's a 3 qt pan in stainless-lined copper, with cast iron handle. It was listed as a Mauviel Cuprinox 2.5mm, and the thickness and dimensions seem about right. I don't have a micrometer but with a ruler make the thickness about 3/32". The handles and overall form sure look like Mauviel (to my eye from looking at web pics; I've never owned a French pan). It just doesn't say Mauviel anywhere on it...the only trademark is stamped to the left of the handle and reads

S T L

MADE IN FRANCE.

I'm guessing this was made by Mauviel and marketed by Sur la Table. If so, I guess I'm ok with it since I care more about functionality than designer brands, and the price was pretty good. But if it's a counterfeit or factory second or not as good as "real" Mauviel-branded Cuprinox or anything like that, I'm going to try and send it back. My first visit of course was to the Sur la Table website, and they do sell Mauviel pans that look alot like this one....but they're stamped Mauviel.

I've had bad luck pasting links to EBay listings, but if you're curious about the listing just search EBay for 260366663652 .

Thanks for any help.

---------------

Matt T

I recently checked out some mauviel pans at williams sonoma and they were stamped 'Williams Sonoma Made in France" I guess this is just Sur La Tables order from mauviel. Also, 3/32" is 2.38125 mm and 7/64 if you can measure if 64th of an inch is 2.778125 mm if that helps...

Edited by Scout_21 (log)

I used to work at a Sur La Table store, and for a while the Mauviel we got in stock was stamped with the SLT mark, not Mauviel. Then I think they switched back later on. So yes, it's real Mauviel.

If it is stamped Made in France, it is the real thing. France is very strict about the manufacture of copper utensils.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thanks for the quick replies! I'm glad to known it's"real" though I'll gripe a bit to the seller about how it was listed.

This is a great community...I haven't been active here in a while but need to go see what's up with the cookoffs and other forums.

Thanks again!

---------------

Matt T