• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Kitchen Design

MexChef

Hello all:

I'm opening a restaurant (first time I do this) as an upgrade from the catering business I run from home...

I have almost (I think) every detail covered and have come to the A/C issue... Should I provide it to the kitchen or will the hood alone extract most of the heat?

My concern is that food be in a "cold" environment just to make the cooks confortable.

The heat sources under a 6 meter hood (unless of course someone recommends different) will be:

4 charcoal grills

6 burner range

1 oven

1 80cm griddle

2 deep-fryers

In front of this hood will be the hot table (bain marie) and besides that the refrigerated table without hood on top, for plating and service.

Any input anyone?

Hard to give a complete answer without seeing the menu.

I assume the oven is fullsized, not one of the little ones that are under a 4 burner, that only hold a half sheet.

If it's convection instead of convention you will have more options, especially for baking.

I would want either a 60" or 72" cold table, or two smaller ones.

A set of cold drawers under the grill is nice.

A pass bar deep enough to hold 2 1/2 plates deep , with appropriately sized heat lamp(s).

A warming lamp for the fry station is worth considering.

Freezer? A tall, 2 door reach-in, if you are doing any pre-fab items like frozen fries, or for home-made specialty items, like almond prawns.

As far as extracting heat, the hoods alone could work, depending on where your make up air is coming from.

If it's built into the hood system, it will not offer any cooling benefits.

If it's on the other side of the cooks, it will be pulled across them to the hood, offering some cooling.

BTW, good to hear that this is a concern, most places pass this by.

A hot, sticky cook is a grumpy cook.

As far as extracting heat, the hoods alone could work, depending on where your make up air is coming from.

If it's built into the hood system, it will not offer any cooling benefits.

If it's on the other side of the cooks, it will be pulled across them to the hood, offering some cooling.

BTW, good to hear that this is a concern, most places pass this by.

A hot, sticky cook is a grumpy cook.

The menu is basically grilled steaks and seafood, nothing so upscale additional equipment be needed... the oven will be used for baking and for keeping plates warm or whatever other use we find for it hehe... the grills themselves can be turned into "brick ovens" for broiling if needed (especially for really thick steaks).

As for the make up air, I was thinking of the main air-conditioned-dining room /through the aile along the pass through table.... (no door)

As for the make up air, I was thinking of the main air-conditioned-dining room /through the aile along the pass through table.... (no door)

That will probably create pressure on your front door.

So what do you suggest? some sort of window in the kitchen area?

Also I forgot to mention there is an underground storage room with elevator shaft and stairs and outdoor access... I think most of the pressure incoming from the makeup air will be alleviated by this underground space...

Also I forgot to mention there is an underground storage room with elevator shaft and stairs and outdoor access... I think most of the pressure incoming from the makeup air will be alleviated by this underground space...

Your A/C does not create any pressure. It only recirculates indoor air.

The makeup air system will not either if it's CFM's match that of your hood, i.e. the volume of air blown in is the same as the volume of air sucked out by the hood.

The HVAC is probably the most expensive and trickiest part of doing a kitchen.

Most, if not all municipalities require a Mechanical engineer's drawing for the hood system before the occupancy permit can be issued. The charcoal grills produce some very nasty and deathly gasses and must be removed as quickly as possible. Then the fire suppression system will cost too.

Best thing is to check with your municipality on what is required for commercial kitchens, Fire, plumbing, electrical HVAC, and health.

Your A/C does not create any pressure. It only recirculates indoor air.

Exactly.

It doesn't make up any air.

Relying on it to do so will create pressure.

To the point, the hood is creating pressure, and without the makeup air......

Myself, I would have a low mounted blower blowing air in.

This will push the cooler air up and the hot air out.

• 5 weeks later...