• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Here's a twist on the international Chinese food topic:

http://www.dfjb.com.cn/

This is Yum Foods (Taco Bell, KFC, etc.) newest franchise opening in China. It's called Eastern Dawn or East Dawning or something, and the idea is to take their "western" fast food business model and apply it to traditional Chinese-style cooking. The style looks kind of pan-Chinese with maybe a few more northern style dishes, and I guess they would be competing with some of the Taiwanese chains already doing something similar. Interesting price point though, considering that RMB 20 (what they charge for that shrimp noodle bowl) will get you some pretty decent dishes at a sit-down restaurant.

The question is, though fairly unlikely, will they be successful enough to then sell the same brand back here, and if so, how much internationalization of their menu do you think would happen?

Interesting looking concept. I too wonder how folks will respond to the higher price point. Maybe the stores will be rather slick?

I can't imagine Yum brands bringing real-deal Chinese food to the masses, but I could be pleasantly surprised. We'd have to lose our addiction to orange chicken first. Personally, I'd kill to be able to get a bowl of noodles and some fungi n' oyster sauce off the side of the road though...