• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Valrhona Satillia Chocolate

pastrygirl

It is time to stock up on chocolate, and I have a purveyor who lists Valrhona Satillia Lactee milk chocolate and Satillia Noir 62% in 20 kg boxes of feves for a much better price than the other Valrhona flavors in 3 kg bags. I can't find any further information and have grown impatient with the Valrhona website and all of its slow-loading flash.

Anyone familiar with these chocolates? What percentage is the milk chocolate? This purveyor also has jivara lactee 40% and tanariva 33%, I'd probably go with the 40% unless this Satillia stuff is darker than the 33%.

Thanks!

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

This may not help but in the UK the only Valrhona range that was packed in 20kg bags (to my knowledge) was labelled tropilia.

They did a tropilia noir in 53% and 70% and tropilia lactee in 29%.

I have not used it.

They seem to have changed their web site, not for the better.

lapin

Hmm, may or may not be relevant, but thanks anyway. The supplier is in Bangkok, don't know where she'd be sourcing the chocolate from, I did send her an email but the chef says she doesn't speak much English so I won't hold my breath for an answer from her. The other chocolates have a picture of the bags, but the satillia only has a picture of feves, so it is possible that the spelling may be off, but everything else is spelled correctly so I wouldn't assume that.

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

The site is annoying!! The tropelia is a lower level chocolate- compared to the grands crus. I guess it is like a standard or regular milk by Callebaut, nothing special ... If you are looking for grands crus then I do not know the new kind you mentioned, but I am very familiar with Jivara and Tanariva. Tanariva is a light colored milk with a very caramel or dulce de leche type of taste. Itis wonderful. It is 33% And the Jivara is a darker milk 40% and is also wonderful.

Edited by Lior (log)

While not completely on topic...

WOW. I haven't been to Valrhona's website in a long time and I just checked it out. What a lot of crap. There's no real information there anymore and it is so difficult to find anything with all the damned images...I hope someone (lots of someones) says something to them.

edited to add: i've never heard of the satillia line. while i'm sure valrhona wouldn't put their name on a terrible product, i'd certainly stick with something you're used to using. especially in your specific circumstance. i don't know how easy it is to send something back once it gets to you, probably not as easy as it is here in the states in a big city i'm guessing ;-)

Edited by alanamoana (log)

i don't know how easy it is to send something back once it gets to you, probably not as easy as it is here in the states in a big city i'm guessing ;-)

Send things back? Hahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahha. Not possible. We get stuck with some pretty random things sometimes. Chef orders dried kidney beans, Singaopre sends cans of baked beans in sauce. I order vanilla beans, get jars of instant vanilla custard powder (hey it has a picture of vanilla beans on the front, same thing, right?)

I tried again to find any actual information on the Valrhona site, but all they seem to offer are pretty pictures. Not that there is anything wrong with pretty pictures :rolleyes:

I think I might try a box of the mystery milk chocolate just out of curiosity. I usually only use milk for ganaches anyway, my current preference for enrobing is the equatorial noir 55%.

Thanks, guys, if I do order some I will try to remember to follow up in a month when it gets here.