• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Domaine de Canton

Kent Wang

Official website

I read about this in Drinks magazine, the tiny rag put out by Spec's. It is described as being made by John Cooper, brother of Rob Cooper who makes St. Germain. That little tidbit piqued my interest.

Unfortunately it's not available in Texas (which makes me wonder why it's in this magazine).

How is it? Does it have potential for the various situations that call for ginger?

i have a bottle, and used it on a ginger lemon semolina cake that I saw Ming Tsai do on his cooking show, the cake was awseome, the drinks i have experimented with it have also been good.

their website has some suggestions (www.dominedecanton.com)

I made a negroni variation as well...

1oz domiane de canton,

1 oz sake

1 oz campari

on the rocks...

(great with sushi)

(i had posted it here a while ago but it got missed by the masses..

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...post&p=1631800)

and a "black ginger" as suggested on their site which is a rusty nail substituting this for the Drambuie

1 oz each J/W black scotch

and domiane de canton

served on the rocks in a lowball/rocks glass

its been fun playing with this liqueur

Edited by shantytownbrown (log)

I'm working on "Cantonese Crusta", a variant of my favorite bourbon delivery system with Canton and a splash of ginger beer subbing for the Cointreau. I'm likely going to use a bottled-in-bond bourbon and throw a little spice in it as well, to compliment the ginger. I'll report back with a completed recipe when I have proportions perfected.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'm no cocktail mixer, but I happen to adore this stuff. The taste is extremely pleasant: a rather sharp ginger bite and a not-too sweet finish. It is certainly quite "gingery'! I think it'd have excellent potential in imaginative mixed drinks...I'd love to see what you come up with!

They were a sponsor at Tales last year, so there were a whole bunch DdC drinks on the index cards.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post them, but I can dig them up if it's ok.

• 10 months later...

In her quest to keep stocking the cabinet with bottles that may well outlive me, Maggie came home with a bottle of Canton Ginger liqueur. So what say you all about mixing with this? Any real good uses do it? I thinking of trying it with Applejack in some way. Or perhaps gin and a bit of lemon juice and fee broths whiskey barrel bitters. Looking for help once again. Thanks

I have a bottle of that as well, and I'm ashamed to say that I haven't cracked it open yet, though it does look stunning on the shelf.. :cool:

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

Mike:

Canton ginger is a good product. It's got good heat and isn't too sweet. I've had good success swapping it into a standard Crusta in place of the Cointreau.

Cantonese Crusta

2 oz. bourbon or cognac

.5 oz. Canton liqueur

.5 oz. Maraschino liqueur

.5 oz. fresh lemon juice

2 dashes orange bitters

Garnish with a flamed orange peel.

I suspect it might stand up well in a Sidecar instead of the Cointreau as well. I might have to try that myself next time I have some at my disposal.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Ms. Katie, as always, that sounds just awesome. I have everything I need at home, I think I'll try it when I get there..

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

Or brandy/cognac, Calvados/applejack or rum for that matter...

And as we're now all aware, a Gin-Gin Mule is a thing of great beauty so I'd even add gin to that list in the appropriate applications. Vodka is a no-brainer, so the concensus seems to be that ginger is tasty with just about everything, yes?

I'd stick with swapping it into already existing recipes as the sweetening agent instead of ________ (fill in the blank with your favorite). Certainly it most definitely works instead of Cointreau in the Crusta and likely in a Sidecar. How about trying it instead of triple sec in a Margarita? Tequila might be one of the less obvious choices to mix it with, but why not? The earthiness of the tequila could certainly stand for the slight sweetness of the Canton along with the sharp bite of ginger. We'll never know until someone tries this at home and reports back... :wink:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

The ginger and Tequila angle works quite well, I was doing a 'short drink' version of the Diablo a while back at work, using my ginger ale syrup (used soda-fountain style to make ginger ale for mixing). It went something like this:

Little Devil

1.5 oz El Jimador Blanco

1/2 oz Ginger ale syrup (Sub Canton)

3/4 oz lime

barspoon Brizzard Cassis

Shake and strain into cocktail glass.

You may have to fiddle with the preportions a bit, Canton is a little sweeter and hotter than my syrup, but the flavor combo definitely works.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Tequila, Canton, Lime, Cassis and soda ought to replicate that very well. I'd forgotton about the Diablo (and I love calling the shortie a Little Devil!), which is one of my favorite tequila drinks. Tequila and cassis or chambord go really well together, much like the strawberries in Tequlla por Mi Amante. Tequila and berries. YUM! :wub:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been enjoying a little number made of Domaine de Canton, rye, grapefruit and honey. Will post ratios when I can get at my recipe book.

-James

My new book is, "Destination: Cocktails", from Santa Monica Press! http://www.destinationcocktails.com

Please see http://www.tydirium.net for information on all of my books, including "Tiki Road Trip", and "Big Stone Head", plus my global travelogues, and more!

Batavia Arrack, ginger, lime, and soda sounds good. Tonic maybe? Or an amaro, maybe Averna or Cynar? Or would this overwhelm the Arrack, I wonder.

Also, I'm nearing the end of my bottle of G.E. Massenez Creme de Gingembre. It's fairly mild in ginger flavor, more like concentrated ginger ale, rather than spicy ginger beer. It's sweet, but not unworkably so. 40 proof. Should I try Canton or stick with another bottle of this stuff?

Edited by EvergreenDan (log)

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Haven't tried the Creme de Gingembre, but Koval's ginger liqueur is a nice alternative to Canton. Lower proof, more natural ginger flavor. Currently only available in Illinois, Indiana and Florida, unfortunately.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Sigh. If only I could edit.

I made what I'm calling Arrack Attack:

1 oz Batavia Arrack

1/2 oz Ginger Liqueur (Creme de Gingembre)

1/2 oz Cynar

1/2 oz Lime

1-2 oz Q Tonic to top

1 dash Fee WBA bitters

Build in a low-ball glass. Garnish with Lime Wheel.

Better than very good. Loving it, actually.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community