• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

They come in different sizes....shipping a standard one would be quite expensive, I expect. I know a lot of people just use a lock & lock container. Do you want it for the look of it, or just to make kimchi in?

I live in Korea and um, the standard urns here are about 2 feet to 4 feet high. If you want these authentic kimchi urns, it's gonna set you back mucho dollars with the shipping costs alone. I think a 2-feet urn would cost about $80 (with the stone lid). There are glass lids too (lined with a steel border).

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

The USA (which is what I assume you mean by "America") is a large place. You might be better off posting in the forum of the area where you live (for example, in Pacific Northwest: Cooking and Baking forum), and asking for pointers to Korean grocery stores. Then you can try asking the grocery stores if they carry them, or if they don't, if they can special order one for you.

Edited by prasantrin (log)

My mother has 4 or 5 in the backyard and I have no idea where she got them (from korea I'm assuming) and I guess she brought them over here (the us) from when we lived in Korea.

However I have seen them for sale before at stores in Georgia. If you got them shipped they would cost A TON of money. They weigh almost 100 pounds.

Why don't you just pack the kimchi in a jar instead? I dont even think my mother uses them for kimchi...instead she just throws soy sauce and daengjang in them.

Are you planning on storing kimchi in them and then burying them?

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

You might even find a local artisanal potter who might make one for you. There are many eccentric and good-hearted craftspeople around, and no few of them have great expertise in Japanese and eastern glazes and firing styles. You will find them well-versed in the styles and product you want, and they may be no more expensive than other sources. Just a thought, if you live in an area where many such potters tend to settle.

They come in different sizes....shipping a standard one would be quite expensive, I expect. I know a lot of people just use a lock & lock container. Do you want it for the look of it, or just to make kimchi in?

I'd come back to this question. What's the purpose? If it's aesthetic, then the suggestion to post in your local region is the best. Or find a local pottery concern that can make one to design. Shipping those puppies from Korea is going to be expensive.

If it's in order to make kimchi, then check out the kimchi fridges for sale through your local Korean store. A lot of the Koreans I know in Vancouver have one, as they reliably produce good kimchi (temperature and humidity control for the ferment).

And they're handy for storing beer, too.

:smile: