• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

(Nashville) New Cocktail Bar in Midtown Nashville

Alchemist

So we finished the first 5 days of training last night. Training went from 5pm to 1am, so there could be construction happening all day. So that ment that every night the bar had to be broken down, packed up and moved. Then every day at four the bar had to be cleaned, and re set up.

Training is set up classroom style, just sitting at a bar, where there is lectures, labs, and hands on work. Cocktails are made and consumed, but they are pulled apart, broken down, and talked about with the same intensity as Shakespeare is in an english class.

gallery_36478_6506_102447.jpg

These are the wonderful students trying NOT to get drunk while sitting at a bar at midnight on a Sat night.

Toby

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

So here is a rough list of the cocktails. There are some old favorites, and some new interesting things that we are doing. A shout out to Eben on the Jennings. Thank you for your blessing on riffing on your idea.

The training has been intense to say the least. The staff has really stepped up and embraced the craziness that is opening a cocktail bar. I am very excited to see them there making cocktails, and spreading the gospel of good things to drink.

The Patterson House

Spring Cocktail List

Gin

Cooper’s Bright Plymouth, Lemon, St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur, House Made Grapefruit Liqueur, Sparkling Wine

Briar Patch Plymouth, Lemon, House Made Blackberry Cordial

Juliet & Romeo Plymouth, Lime, Mint, Cucumber, Rose Water

The Maisie Day Luzianne Infused Gordon’s, Lemon, Egg White, Lemon Bitters

Maloney Negroni Variation Tanqueray, Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth, Campari, Lazaroni Amaretto, Coffee Pecan Bitters

Rum

Mai Tai Brugal Anejo, Lime, House Made Orgeat, House Orange Bitters

Hotel Nacional Barbancourt 3 star 4yr, Lime, Rothman & Winter Apricot Liqueur, Pineapple

Dark & Stormy Matusalem, Lime, Cruzan Black Strap, Ginger Syrup

Golden Age Angostura 5yr, Lemon, Egg Yolk, Cherry Heering, Lemon Bitters

Tattooed Seaman Sailor Jerry, Demerara Syrup, Root Beer Bitters

Whiskey

The Jennings Jack Daniels #7, Hickory Wood Smoked Cola

Whiskey Smash Rebel Yell Bourbon, Lemon, Mint, Peychaud’s Bitters

Blinker Bulleit Bourbon, Grapefruit, House Made Raspberry Syrup, Spring Bitters

Vincent’s Ruin Bulleit Bourbon, Lemon, St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur, La Muse Verte

Absinthe, Lemon Bitters

Spring Sazerac Old Overholdt Rye, Rothman & Winter Apricot Liqueur, Herbsaint, Peychaud’s Bitters

Bacon Old Fashioned Benton Bacon Infused 4 Roses Bourbon, Maple Syrup, Coffee Pecan Bitters

Reelfoot Manhattan Weller 107 Bourbon, Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth, Dolin Dry Vermouth, Laphroiag, Regans’ Orange Bitters

Tequila

La Paloma Lunazul Blanco, Lime, Grapefruit

Spanish Margarita Lunazul Blanco, Lime, Licor 43, Hell Fire Bitters

El Diablo Lunazul Reposado, Lemon, House Made Ginger Syrup,

Briottet Cassis

Brandy

Spring Sidecar Maison Surrenne Cognac, Lemon, Senior Orange Curacao, Rothman & Winter

Violette Liqueur

The Terra Rica Inca Gold Pisco, Pineapple, Egg White, Aperol, Spring Bitters

Jack Rose Laird’s Bonded Applejack, Lemon, House Made Grenadine

Vieux Carre Maison Surrenne Cognac, Jim Beam Rye, Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth, Benedictine, Peychaud’s Bitters

Cordials

Pimms Cup Pimms #1, Tanqueray Gin, Mint, Cucumber, Strawberry

Huckleberry Fizz Plymouth Sloe Gin, Lemon, Egg White, Spring Bitters

Stingy Brim Luxardo Coffee Liqueur, Barbancourt 3 Star 4yr Rhum, Sweetened Heavy Cream, Fees Old Fashioned Bitters

Vodka

Vodka Cobbler Prairie, Lemon, Lillet Blonde, Seasonal Fruit, Regans’ Orange Bitters

Moscow Mule Prairie, Lime, Ginger Syrup

The Gilded Rubel Prairie, Lemon, Egg White, Honey Syrup, Grapefruit Bitters

Classic Cocktails

Aviation Tanqueray Gin, Lemon, Luxardo Maraschino, Rothman & Winter

Violette Liqueur

Corpse Reviver #2 Plymouth, Lemon, Lillet, Senior Orange Curacao, La Muse Verte

Absinthe

Champagne Cocktail Gruet Sparkling, Sugar Cube, Angostura Bitters

Daiquiri Appleton White Rum, Simple Syrup, Lime

Gimlet Plymouth Gin, Simple Syrup, Lime

Manhattan Bulleit Bourbon, Dolin Sweet Vermouth, Angostura Bitters

Margarita Lunazul Blanco Tequila, Lime, Senior Orange Curacao

Martini Plymouth Gin, Dolin Dry Vermouth, House Orange Bitters

Mint Julep Bulleit Bourbon, Demerara Syrup, Mint, Spring Bitters

Mojito Flor de Caña 4yr Rum, Lime, Mint, Angostura Bitters

Negroni Tanqueray Gin, Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth, Campari,

Regans’ Orange Bitters

Old Fashioned Jim Beam Rye, Demerara Syrup, Peychaud’s Bitters

Presbyterian Wild Turkey 101, Lemon, Home Made Ginger Syrup, Soda Water

Ramos Gin Fizz Beefeater Gin, Lemon, Lime, Egg White, Cream,

Orange Flower Water

Sazerac Old Overholdt Rye, Herbsaint, Peychaud’s Bitters

Sidecar Maison Surrenne Cognac, Lemon, Senior Orange Curacao, Fees Orange Bitters

Silver Sour Booze, Lemon, Simple Syrup, Egg White

Southside Plymouth Gin, Lime, Mint, Peychaud’s Bitters

Tom Collins Hayman’s Old Tom Gin, Lemon, Soda Water

The room is so very, very beautiful, even covered in saw dust. If anyone is in the area PM me.

Just finishing a 16 hour day. Must try and sleep for s couple of...

Toby

Truly awe-inspiring. I can't wait to see it!

Sandy Levine
The Oakland Art Novelty Company

sandy@TheOaklandFerndale.com www.TheOaklandFerndale.com

www.facebook.com/ArtNoveltyCompany twitter: @theoakland

Are you guys open yet?  I'm in Nashville and thirsty.

Yes!! Opening night was last night, and it's beautiful! I tried several of the cocktails:

Juliet and Romeo (of course, fabulous!)

Maisie Day

Maloney Negroni Variation

Spring Sazerac

Cooper's Bright (the only one I didn't flip for; it tasted a bit heavy on the St Germaine to me)

Blinker

Sipped on Reelfoot Manhattan, Terra Rica, Pimm's Cup...yes, I was there for a lot's of hours!

The food is amazing; last night I tried the Deviled Eggs, Meatloaf Sliders, Fig and Procsuitto Flatbread (YUM!). Can't wait for more later tonight!

Here are some first remarks:

http://blogs.nashvillescene.com/bites/2009...ns.php#comments

Edited by newbie21 (log)

I heard The Patterson House is now open for business.

What was the opening day like?

Hey Troy! It was really busy! Full house, small wait, lots and lots of cocktails and food out the door. Last night was smooth, not as busy, but the boys are amping up for a very busy next few nights. Phones are blowing up all around me with rezo requests. It's really so beautiful; when are you coming down?

Hey Troy! It was really busy! Full house, small wait, lots and lots of cocktails and food out the door. Last night was smooth, not as busy, but the boys are amping up for a very busy next few nights. Phones are blowing up all around me with rezo requests. It's really so beautiful; when are you coming down?

Kristen, as soon as possible. The place sounds fantastic. The pictures I saw online were amazing.

And what's this I hear about a Bacon Bourbon Old Fashioned? Is it as good as it sounds?

Kristen, as soon as possible. The place sounds fantastic. The pictures I saw online were amazing.

And what's this I hear about a Bacon Bourbon Old Fashioned? Is it as good as it sounds?

I am in a world of crap for not having tried it yet, right? I'm making my way through the list; it'll come. So far, Vincent's Ruin is topping my list.

Rhea & I finally were able to go to Patterson House Friday night. We left work early so we would be able to arrive shortly after opening time. We were fortunate enough to spend a few minutes talking with Toby and Adam about the development of Patterson House and the Spring cocktail and food menu.

The room has an intimate feel, like a "rich friends" library. Rhea thought the entrance and velvet curtains said speakeasy from the start. The lighting, sound level, music choice and the new bar are all exactly right (see pictures in the links provided by newbie21 earlier).

To begin our long anticipated (watching the construction as well as reading these posts) wandering thru the drinks menu Rhea started with a non-menu drink that Toby is working on, then a Maisy Day. I started with a Dark and Stormy then a Reelfoot Manhattan. We shared a Terra Rica as the finale.

Some of the things we wanted to try are not available yet as running the gauntlet of Tennessee's archaic liquor laws is a process that is still ongoing. Yes our legislature just voted to allow guns in parks and bars but did not allow wine to be sold in grocery stores.

The small plates are not to be missed as they compliment any of the cocktails, wines or well chosen beers. We sampled the Proscuitto, Fig and Arugula flatbread (the truffle oil was a perfect balance not overdone as it so often is); Crispy Sweetbreads with sweet and sour sauce; Blackeyed pea hummus with Lavash; and I had to have the Tater Tots with Horseradish-Sour Cream sauce.

A perfect spring evening that we hope to repeat soon. Thanks to all of the crew at Patterson House for bringing a new and exciting venue to Nashville.

Will be in Nashville in July. I can't wait. My kids will be up there next weekend, and I'm sending them on a recon mission.

The only problem I see is trying to try too many of the cocktails in one visit.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

We will be in Nashville in October. Save some gin for us as we are seriously looking forward to the visit--how ever bacon infused Manhattans might just make us "step away fr/ the gin!"

I did not see the actual address listed in any of the above posts so exactly where is this oasis located? (never mind I saw it on the business card--Division Street--so we will see you folks in October)

Edited by Lan4Dawg (log)

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

The only problem I see is trying to try too many of the cocktails in one visit.

I did this on Wednesday and don't regret a thing. I highly recommend trying as many different drinks as you can; it is a true pleasure to be continually surprised by a continuous stream of expertly prepared cocktails... sort of like a multi-course dinner at a world-class restaurant, only of the liquid variety. Congrats again to Toby and Josh who have created a true gem.

Personal Standouts included:

Juliet & Romeo

Maloney Negroni

Bacon Old Fashioned

Jack Rose

Reelfoot Manhattan

Terra Rica

Ramos Gin Fizz

I am a little glad that I live 500 miles away; otherwise I could face a swift financial ruin enjoying a daily consumption of these brilliant concoctions....

Sandy Levine
The Oakland Art Novelty Company

sandy@TheOaklandFerndale.com www.TheOaklandFerndale.com

www.facebook.com/ArtNoveltyCompany twitter: @theoakland

• 3 weeks later...

This is a long time coming but this is what The Patterson house looks like. This was a couple of minutes before opening so the lights are usually much lower. Pics by Josh.

This is looking in from the front door.

gallery_36478_6506_29433.jpg

This is looking from the back towards the front.

gallery_36478_6506_218883.jpg

Toby

This is something that should be shouted from the roof tops. Troy will not only be here in Nashville he will be bartending at The Patterson House on the first weekend of June. Will get y'all dates soon.

He will be pouring cocktails from The Violet Hour.

Come on down. Have a taste of chicago here in Nashville.

Toby

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the rules that are posted at The Patterson House. They are a group effort, but you can see an homage to M&H that was my contribution.

gallery_36478_6506_75609.jpg

gallery_36478_6506_51224.jpg

Toby

So Troy Sidle will be pouring drinks at The Patterson House Thurs, Fri, Sat this week. He will be making cocktails from The Violet Hour and beyond.

It is a great opportunity for those of you who have been to The Patterson House to have something a little different, and for those who haven't to have cocktails made by a wonderful bartender.

There is a staff feild trip up to Bowling Green KY to visit the Corsair distillery so I must run.

Cheers,

Toby

gallery_36478_6506_20112.jpg

Back Bar The Patterson House.

So the field trip up to Bowling Green was a smashing success. It was very educational and we got to make some cocktails. The Corsair Gin makes an AMAZING gimlet.

So Troy was behind the stick this weekend and it was a true pleasure to see him work his magic.

I don't know if anbody out there got to try some of his cocktails but it would be interesting to hear how they are different/similar.

Cheers

Toby

Web page on the way. We are focused on getting systems in place so we can provide the best possible cocktails and service every day. Opening a bar is like juggling a kitten, a chainsaw, and a couple of flaming bowling pins, while running across a snake filled marsh using only alligator heads as stepping stones, while being chased by visgoths and angry critics. One must prioritize. Web page on the way.

Toby