• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

(Nashville) New Cocktail Bar in Midtown Nashville

Alchemist

Hello, my name is Toby Maloney. I am in the process of opening a bar in Nashville, The Patterson House, It will be similar to The Violet Hour, and the Bradstreet Craftshouse.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=104181

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=121408

I am wondering where to look for staff here in Nashville. I am not just looking for bartenders and servers to be bartenders and servers. I am looking for passionate people who want to delve into a new world of flavors, and intensity.

We will be making our own bitters (7), amari (3), and soon, house vermouths, and liqueurs.

We will have 7 to 8 different kinds of ice.

I am going to start by posting pics of the bitters making process, and some other random pics.

My right hand man here is a killer photographer so I hope to document the process more intensily than ever before.

So we are about to embark on bitters tonight and amari tomorrow.

Beers are about to be cracked, herbs weighed, bottles of Beam emptied,

Everclear utilized.

Business Cards for The Patterson House

gallery_36478_6506_11380.jpg

Toby standing where the bar is going to be

gallery_36478_6506_38549.jpg

Botanicals from Terra Spice

gallery_36478_6506_38849.jpg

Benjamin and Toby cutting Anchos

gallery_36478_6506_48249.jpg

Ingredients for Hellfire Bitters

gallery_36478_6506_86868.jpg

Hibiscus in Everclear, after 5 minutes,

gallery_36478_6506_40112.jpg

Swirly Version

gallery_36478_6506_25830.jpg

More to come.....

Cheers

Toby

Edited by Alchemist (log)

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

The Patterson House sounds like a great project. Good luck with it! Just out of curiosity, why Nashville? (I'm just jealous)

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Wow, this a a dream come true. I'm new to Nashville and thought I'd be doomed to roam the cocktail wastelands here for time immemorial. Patterson House looks to be a real ray of light. Love how you're serious about the ice and are making bitters, amari, vermouths, etc in house. I've been trying to sniff out the serious bartenders here for months, but while there is plenty of competence, there is a lack of innovation and even less curiousity. But I gotta say, if ever anything would make me want to quit my day job and pick up the shaker as a pro, this would about do it! But I can probably make do with regular visits . . . when do you open?

Edited by maver (log)

Wow, this a a dream come true.  I'm new to Nashville and thought I'd be doomed to roam the cocktail wastelands here for time immemorial.  Patterson House looks to be a real ray of light.  Love how you're serious about the ice and are making bitters, amari, vermouths, etc in house.  I've been trying to sniff out the serious bartenders here for months, but while there is plenty of competence, there is a lack of innovation and even less curiousity.  But I gotta say, if ever anything would make me want to quit my day job and pick up the shaker as a pro, this would about do it!  But I can probably make do with regular visits . . . when do you open?

The Hopening is mid April. We just put out an ad today looking for staff. Things are going pretty smoothly. Loving Nashville. Will post more pics and updates ASAP.

Toby

Greetings Toby,

Congrats on an exciting project. I'm in Nashville every other week and will search your place out when I end up staying overnight.

We will be making our own bitters (7), amari (3), and soon, house vermouths, and liqueurs.  We will have 7 to 8 different kinds of ice.

Have you anticipated the intimidation factor? You are offering Nashville a whole new level of drinking. Will there be an educational. marekting, PR process to help customers choose from seven ices, much less the rest of your cocktail adventure? That may be key in generating regulars.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Toby,

I think this is fantastic for Nashville. Although I live here I have been an admirer of Violet Hour for years. My god-daughter lives in Chicago and it is her favorite place so we go every time I am in Chicago. I think that you have done a great job choosing your location in Nashville. If you do not want to post here would you PM me with contact information as I know a couple of "shaker-pro's" that I think would be a great match.

I go to Nashville periodically, and will go more often now that my daughter and son-in-law are moving there in June. I thought the hellfire bitters would be worth a trip in and of themselves, but I have GOT to try a bacon old-fashioned!

Can't wait. See y'all this summer. If it's a success, maybe a branch in Memphis....

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

gallery_36478_6506_50102.jpg

Rhubarb pre dehydrating, for bitters.

gallery_36478_6506_68805.jpg

After....

gallery_36478_6506_52035.jpg

Grapefruit, lemon and limes dehydrated and ready for bitters.

Having such a good time putting all this stuff together.

By the way, all these wonderful pic's are the work of Josh Habinger.

Cheers,

Toby

gallery_36478_6506_27025.jpgh

We are making a grapefruit-cello like thing. Macerating grapefruit, lemon and lime in a mixture of spirits and wine. Once this is intense enough we will strain it and add herbs and botanicals. Then strain that and add sugar.

I am planning on using it like Lillet, or an amaro. Right now I am imagining it in a gimlet and a daiquiri. I think it will be a good way to riff on classic cocktails using a hand made ingredient while keeping pickup times low.

gallery_36478_6506_35740.jpg

Toby

Toby, how have you started to conceptualize the menu? From comments here and impressions of those who've been, you're setting up shop in a barren cocktail landscape. What are you making for the virgins? The curious? The converts?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

This is a very rough draft. We have done some things on this menu that are new for us. We have made things a little more southern. You will notice things like the DIXIE which is a little like adult sweet tea. We are fat washing some bourbon, and then it will either go in a Manhattan, old fashions, or if someone requests, it come with the Jennings.

As this is the home of the Jack and Coke, we are doing a riff on Eben Freemans Waylon, we are calling it the Jennings, with Jack and then we will smoke the cola with diffferent wood depending on the season.

The Patterson House

Sample Cocktail List

Gin

Cooper’s Union Plymouth, Lemon, St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur, Grapefruit, Sparkling Wine, Orange Flower Water

Gimlet (Riff) Gordon’s, Lime, House Made Cherry Amaro

Briar Patch Plymouth, Lemon, House Made Blackberry Cordial

Juliet & Romeo Plymouth, Lime, Mint, Cucumber, Rose Water

Dixie Luzianne Infused Seagram’s, Lemon, Egg White, Lemon Bitters

Maloney Negroni #2 Tanqueray, Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth, Campari, Orange Bitters

Rum

Daiquiri (Riff) Flor de Caña 4yr, Lime, House Made Grapefruit Amaro

Mai Tai (Riff) Appleton Gold, Lime, Senior Orange Curacao, House Made Orgeat, Orange Bitters

Dark & Stormy Matusalem, Lime, Cruzan Black Strap, Ginger Syrup

Golden Age Matusalem, Lemon, Egg Yolk, Cherry Heering, Lemon Bitters

Whiskey

Whiskey Smash Rebel Yell Bourbon, Lemon, Mint, Peychaud’s Bitters

Blinker Bulleit Bourbon, Grapefruit, House Made Raspberry Syrup, t.b.d Bitters

Jennings Jack Daniels #7, Pecan Wood Smoked Cola

TBD Wild Turkey 101 Rye, Lemon, House Made Grenadine, Orange Bitters

Lincoln County Process George Dickel Tennessee Whiskey, Lemon, Egg White, t.b.d

Spring Sazerac Old Overholdt Rye, Rothman & Winter Apricot Liqueur, Herbsainte, Peychaud’s Bitters

Bacon Old Fashioned Benton Bacon Infused Buffalo Trace Bourbon, Maple Syrup, Coffee Pecan Bitters

Manhattan Weller 107 Bourbon, Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth, Dolin Dry Vermouth, Qi Smoked Tea Liqueur

Tequila

La Paloma Innocente, Lime, Grapefruit

Spanish Margarita Lunazul, Lime, Licor 43, Hell Fire Bitters

El Diablo Lunazul, Lemon, House Made Ginger Syrup, House Made Raspberry Syrup

Brandy

Spring Sidecar Maison Surranne Cognac, Lemon, Senior Orange Curacao, Rothman &

Winter Violette Liqueur,

Pisco Sour (Riff) Don Cesar Pisco Italia, Lemon, Egg White, Pineapple, Angostura Bitters

Jack Rose Laird’s Bonded Applejack, Lemon, House Made Grenadine

Vieux Carre Maison Suranne Cognac, Jim Beam Rye, Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth, Benedictine, Peychaud’s Bitters

Cordials

Pimms Cup Pimms #1, Lime, Tanqueray Gin, Lovage, Cucumber, Strawberry

St. Germain TBD

Sloe Gin Sour Plymouth Sloe Gin, Lemon, Egg White, Spring Bitters

Stingy Brim Luxardo Coffee Liqueur, Botran Rum, Sweetened Heavy Cream, Fees Old Fashioned Bitters

Vodka

Vodka Cobbler Vodka, Lemon, Lillet Blonde, Seasonal Fruit, Regan’s Orange Bitters

Moscow Mule Vodka, Lime, Ginger Syrup

TBD Vodka, Lemon, Egg White, Honey Syrup + something

So as you can see this is very rough. On of the big challenges is finding which liquor is available here in Tennessee.

So don't hold me to this, but you can see the direction we are going. The hopeining is mid April, so I have time to tweak.

Then these will our takes on these classics.

Classic Cocktails

Aviation

Corpse Reviver #2

Champagne Cocktail Gruet, Sugar Cube, Angostura Bitters

Daiquiri

Gimlet

Manhattan

Margarita

Martini

Mint Julep

Negroni

Old Fashioned

Perfect Martinez

Sazerac

Sidecar

Southside

Tom Collins

Sour (Whiskey)

Presbyterian

Ramos Gin Fizz

Gin Rickey

Cheers,

Toby

Toby, have you tried doing a fat wash with anything other than bacon? I recently did a fat wash with toasted walnuts and bourbon with very pleasing results. It was much quicker and tastier than a regular infusion I tried a few months back. I did have to add Crisco, which admittedly freaked me out, but after filtration the bourbon is fat free.

Great post... I'm a big fan of VH.

Dave Kaye

So we got our hands on some Benton bacon and some four roses yellow label. What an amazing combo. The last version with supermarket bacon and Old Crow pales in comparison. I know that sounds like a no brainier, but the difference is awe inspiring.

So we rendered the fat of the Benton’s, and well we had bacon left over. That is with out a doubt the first time I have ever thought the phrase “left over bacon” let alone put such a horror in print.

Here is the solution to –Shudder- left over bacon.

gallery_36478_6506_57997.jpg

Bacon, escarole, tomato, kosher salt, dill pickle, mayo.

Toby

ETA what was on the "Bacon Taco"

So this post may be a little all over the place. Please excuse the spelling, lateral thought process, and the lack of a good solid theme.

gallery_36478_6506_10341.jpg

We got some of these to color our bitters since Campari has using them to color theirs.

gallery_36478_6506_82634.jpg

This is what they look like after a little bit in Everclear.

Josh was making the Irie BBQ the other night and this was some of what her used.

gallery_36478_6506_8048.jpg

Some people think that bars are all about the booze. Opening a bar is all about coffee.

gallery_36478_6506_82634.jpg

Late night, not enough coffee (or beer) trying to figure out where the well, Slim Jim, glass ware, sink, dry storage, ALOHA, liquor tears, and the rest of the crap goes.

gallery_36478_6506_10734.jpg

MMMMMMMMMmmmm.. Bar.

gallery_36478_6506_27881.jpg

Toby

OK. Have double posted some pics, and cant find others. Will fix in the AM.

Some people think that a when opening a bar it's all about the booze, staff, smallwares ect. It's really all about the coffee.

gallery_36478_6506_91801.jpg

Have I mantioned that the bar is 68' long with 30 barstools. The first real bar I worked in had three, then four. I think We might be totally out of our minds. Check out that wicked royal roll.

Toby

Toby, have you tried doing a fat wash with anything other than bacon?  I recently did a fat wash with toasted walnuts and bourbon with very pleasing results.  It was much quicker and tastier than a regular infusion I tried a few months back.  I did have to add Crisco, which admittedly freaked me out, but after filtration the bourbon is fat free. 

Great post... I'm a big fan of VH.

I actually have not tried the fat washing before this. A couple of my guys at TVH have been working on a pecan&bourbon. I think they were using butter.

It's really cool you can impart so much flavor in such a short time. I did the second Test Batch of Bentons Bacon and Four roses in an afternoon.

Wow,....... Crisco.

Toby

So last night was the first night of training. Whoo=Hoo!

There were no major injures, no one had to get fired, we did not set the place on fire. SUCESS!!!

Here are a couple of photos of random things.

Here is the Taisin in a water bath.

gallery_36478_6506_210297.jpg

Here she is crushing an ice sphere.

gallery_36478_6506_52915.jpg

Her handywork. It looks like a tree after an ice storm trapped in the ball.

gallery_36478_6506_99748.jpg

Why we do what we do. A mint daiquiri.

gallery_36478_6506_56578.jpg

Cheers,

Toby