• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to get a home bar?

Mattzilla

Hey all. My wife and I are moving into a loft in downtown LA and there's a perfect spot in it for a small (4-5 feet long) dry bar. Since the kitchen sink (and garbage disposal) will be right behind, I don't need anything too fancy (or expensive). I'm just wondering if any of you know any good websites for this or even places in LA that I could look.

I would rather build my own, but I lack the tools and a work space... Since that won't be a possibility, I'd like to get something that is cheap, looks good, and maybe doesn't come from Target or IKEA...

Red Bull/Vodka is the downfall of civilization...

I'd check out craigslist or something for people doing custom woodworking. My brother-in-law has been doing that (sadly, in milwaukee so he's no help for you) to make some extra money. You could also check with the woodworking departments of the local tech school. Sometimes the teachers like to look for projects for students to do in class.

"Cheap" is a relative term, but I'm assuming the $1k for Crate and Barrel's offerings is too spendy. See this post for links (and other related discussion). Note that, to date, my wife and I have not gotten any home bar solution, since we have a workable built-in solution already.

Christopher

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

...and yes Chris 1K is a bit out of range... at least for something that probably requires assembly.

I don't know if you can get much under $1k that isn't IKEA. Buying used on Craigslist, and MattJohnson's suggestion of getting it custom made would be good alternatives.

This is my IKEA bar that I got second-hand from Craigslist for around $400. I think they paid $600. It's probably discontinued.

gallery_28661_4880_53188.jpg

It works really well for me. A little wobbly if you shake it, but that doesn't happen often. It's not like a chair that's going to take a lot of punishment so the IKEA quality is fine for my use.

Nice lookin' bar (and nice bottle of Eagle Rare).

I'm basically just trying to find something to take the space between the kitchen island and the wall, so even something from a chain store would do since I have a solid counter nearby for locking tins.

Looks like I might have to take a trip to the local community college...