• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gordon Ramsays new **

The word is Mr R is gunning for 3stars. That would put him on level terms with Ducasse and Thomas Keller. I would of thought that he would need to spend more than five minutes in the place though, even if he has got a crack squad in place. There again, his absence doesn't seem to be a problem at RHR.

The word is Mr R is gunning for 3stars. That would put him on level terms with Ducasse and Thomas Keller. I would of thought that he would need to spend more than five minutes in the place though, even if he has got a crack squad in place. There again, his absence doesn't seem to be a problem at RHR.

Hi Richard. I am stunned by his man management qualities

He comes across like he doesn't give a f--- about anybody.

However with all the personalities in his organisation.

How does he keep them.(Marcus Wareing excepted)

Does he just hand over the reins and pay top dollar,or does he have a very good management team behind him?

From experience ,keeping key workers is the hardest part of most business's.

I don't hear of any dissent in the ranks.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

Does he just hand over the reins and pay top dollar,or does he have a very good management team behind him?

Excellent pay? Or is that me being cynical?

Regarding Trianon, I have a serious foodie friend in Paris who thinks this place is actually pretty terrific.

Food Snob

foodsnob@hotmail.co.uk

Excellent pay? Or is that me being cynical?

Regarding Trianon, I have a serious foodie friend in Paris who thinks this place is actually pretty terrific.

I wish someone would spill the beans.

I'm really surprised that you've not been yet, given your most recent exploits.

That said what a city for dining choices.

Its mind blowing!

@d_goodfellow1

We can all argue that he has sold his soul somewhat since becomining an uber celeb chef. Im always in two minds about him. He is though, very, very good at what he does. I strongly believe the trade is better for having him in it, even though he can be a very contrary fellow.

Some of his most trusted lieutenants have been with him since his Aubergine days. Thats got to say it all. Chefs like Mark Askew, who you never hear of, is still with him and he is a cracking chef, who could of gone off to do his own thing by now. I reckon the tv personality is different from the 'chef'. I also strongly believe Angela Hartnet and for that matter, Wareing have an awful lot to be thankful for. I don't think either one would be in the positions they are now if it wasn't for Ramsay. Hartnet in my opinion has got away with murder being under Ramsay, totally over rated I believe. Wareing I thought, just got way above his station in the interview he gave last year. I don't know what went on between them but he would of been the bigger man if he had just got on with the job, instead of shooting his mouth off, which doesn't suit him. Was it for his art or publicity?

I do think Ramsay has that talent to get the best out of his staff and looks after them pretty well. I think as well you don't get three stars by blagging it. Just wish he didn't act like a total dick at times and remembered what and who he is.

We can all argue that he has sold his soul somewhat since becomining an uber celeb chef. Im always in two minds about him. He is though, very, very good at what he does. I strongly believe the trade is better for having him in it, even though he can be a very contrary fellow.

Some of his most trusted lieutenants have been with him since his Aubergine days. Thats got to say it all. Chefs like Mark Askew, who you never hear of, is still with him and he is a cracking chef, who could of gone off to do his own thing by now. I reckon the tv personality is different from the 'chef'. I also strongly believe Angela Hartnet and for that matter, Wareing have an awful lot to be thankful for. I don't think either one would be in the positions they are now if it wasn't for Ramsay. Hartnet in my opinion has got away with murder being under Ramsay, totally over rated I believe. Wareing I thought, just got way above his station in the interview he gave last year. I don't know what went on between them but he would of been the bigger man if he had just got on with the job, instead of shooting his mouth off, which doesn't suit him. Was it for his art or publicity?

I do think Ramsay has that talent to get the best out of his staff and looks after them pretty well. I think as well you don't get three stars by blagging it. Just wish he didn't act like a total dick at times and remembered what and who he is.

How big a role does Mark Sargeant play in his operation, rumour has it he does most of the work on his books,any idea?

@d_goodfellow1

I'm really surprised that you've not been yet, given your most recent exploits.

That said what a city for dining choices.

Its mind blowing!

Precisely...so many choices! (too many) I almost went, but I guess it just was not meant to be.

GR has done a phenomenal amount of good for British dining, raising its profile immensely internationally; he is probably the only British chef who is a household name worldwide. He also increased general food awareness and appreciation domestically.

Wrt Wareing, he was savage in that interview and must have been gutted (embarrassed even?) not getting that third star.

Agree about Ramsay and believe, whatever people might think of him as a chef, he is certainly a serious businessman.

Food Snob

foodsnob@hotmail.co.uk

not wanting to get off topic, but there are people in every warp of life who are not liked by everyone!!

Gordon got to the top of his tree before he thought about doing anything else, you cannot knock this!!, Tom Aikens prime example of somebody doing it the wrong way!

Yes he has fallen out with a few ex employees, very common in the chef world, for some sad reason i cannot give!! but look at the ones who have stayed with him, mark askew probably being the prime example in the back ground, i am sure he has not been short of offers over the years, yes gordon does pay well to, no i dont work for him!!!

There is the argument he has sold himself out, and when he was younger he was very against it as was Marco

I am sure it is very differnet working for the Gordon Ramsay machine now then when he was iin the kitchen all day doing service

The bones of the story are he has got to the top, and now tried to make some money, because there is definatly no money in a 40 cover restaurant, if he hadnt expanded, people would be asking why not, he couldnt win

The question of how much money he has made and how well he is doing now would be a totally different topic, i m, sure a very good one for discussion

Mark Sargent has always helped with books etc, he was always gordons boy, as to how much now i could not comment

Back in the day Gordon had a massive respect from all the team, junior and senior, unlike a certain TA

Ramsay is on record as saying that bookings went ballistic at Aubergine after Boiling Point was aired on TV. (Plus lets not forget he would have seen first hand how MPW got so much mileage out of being the bad boy @ Harveys)

I think it was then that the penny dropped about playing the pantomime villain for effect.

There is no way he could keep the stable of chefs he has unless he looked after them. I think he is deeply insecure (like most talented people), and the tirades are the steam letting moments. If you run the sort of mad schedule he does you'll never really have time to address your "issues" (again very much like MPW).

He's been very successful being a bit of a twat sometimes, it's only going to reinforce his behaviour.

I had dinner at Le Trianon last year. It was stunning(review in the paris section with pics). I have seen reviews and photos of the food at RHR and it looks like pretty much the same menu as Le Trianon. Although the dining room at Le Trianon looks slightly more special :raz:

I love TV Ramsay and find his programs to be far beyond what any other chefs are doing. But none of that side interests me when it comes to his restaurants. His food is bloody good, simple as that.

Ramsay is on record as saying that bookings went ballistic at Aubergine after Boiling Point was aired on TV. (Plus lets not forget he would have seen first hand how MPW got so much mileage out of being the bad boy @ Harveys)

I think it was then that the penny dropped about playing the pantomime villain for effect.

There is no way he could keep the stable of chefs he has unless he looked after them. I think he is deeply insecure (like most talented people), and the tirades are the steam letting moments. If you run the sort of mad schedule he does you'll never really have time to address your "issues" (again very much like MPW).

He's been very successful being a bit of a twat sometimes, it's only going to reinforce his behaviour.

That would be quite tricky as boiling point was at hospital road?