• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Madrid Trip Report

brescd01

Well, we are back in the US and recovering from jet lag.

We absolutely loved Madrid and its food. Even if we ate at "second tier" places we were very happy. I actually posted lists of proposed restaurants in advance of this thread and I had few or no replies. The only dust-up occurred after the fact.

By saying I "ate somewhere," I am not saying that I endorse that place or recommend it. I just ate there. I am not a partisan of any place I tried except Combarro, which was so beautiful and elegant I cannot wait to return there.

In any event, we loved the tapas "lifestyle," the late hours of the formal restaurants less so. The Ritz had the finest service of any hotel I have ever stayed in, the room we stayed in was old and delapidated in some ways, so one has to judge for one's self.

A fabulous trip, I know my wife can't wait to go to Barcelona. When I post requests for advice, hopefully people will answer before we go!

Glad you enjoyed Madrid. Barcelona is a terrific city too.

Sure, you posted your list here:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=121658

No Xentes, no Casa Valencia, no Donostiarra. Nonetheless, point taken. Next time I'll try to answer when you post before the trip. And perhaps you'd leave barbershop and shirtmakers aside.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

Fond memories of our sojourn to Madrid.....can anyone list the "traditional" tapas? Also, when is the best time to arrive at a tapas place? Finally, what is the general opinion of then traditional restaurants Casa Lucio, Lhardy, El Lando, Jockey, and Horcher?

Edited by brescd01 (log)