• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

La Casa Bianca - Has anyone ever been?

TheBoatMan

I was here about one year ago. Food and service were above average. They have a selection of wine from a local NJ winery or you can bring your own. From what I recall a good choice of pasta dishes and some interesting specials. They have a cozy little storefront setting and the feel of an old Italian kitchen. Not your typical casual Italian restaurant - I would say certainly a notch or two above - definately worth a try. Keep in mind tables are rather tough to come by on weekends so plan a bit in advance. Enjoy.

A.D.S.

After reading about La Casa Bianca, 326 Main Street, White House Station on eGullet we decided to try this BYO restaurant as we had not been there in a long time. I'm happy to report that the food is still very good although the service could use improvement and the prices have gotten a bit steep for a storefront BYO. For example the pappardelle with shrimp, broccoli rabe, and sundried tomatoes was $24.95. When seated water was poured from bright cobalt blue wine bottles and bruschetta was brought to the table along with hot crusty Italian bread and a luscious tomato sauce. Specials were recited without the prices and the specials we heard were different from what another waiter recited at an adjoining table. Lowell's pasta came with a delightful salad consisting of mixed greens with a raspberry vinaigrette and some fresh berries. I had sautéed escarole that was perfectly cooked. My entrée was "Pollo Caccitori" which was fresh cut chicken on the bone sautéed with onions, mushrooms, peas, peppers and potatoes for $20.95. Portions were big and we were too full for dessert. Coffee was fair. With tax and tip the bill was $67.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

We've been to Casa Bianca twice. The service was pleasant but uneven both times. We also felt the prices were a bit steep for a casual restaurant. The prices do not match the service or atmosphere. The food was good, but not great. When we asked our server for the prices of the recited specials, he replied that he did not know. Very strange. The food does not live up to the expectations one has after reading the menu. It's not worth the ride for us. There are better choices closer to home.

The portions are huge and maybe that is why they are priced higher than expected, but I'd prefer a smaller portion that I can enjoy in one sitting.

KathyM

We are lazy diners. We tend to decide at the last minute where to eat, so that limits our choices. Our regular haunt for Italian food is Torino on Mountain Blvd in Warrenville (5 minutes away) . We can always walk in at 6:00 PM on a weekend without a reservation. The service and food are good. We usually have apps, entrees, coffee and split a dessert for about $60, including tax and tip. We also like Il Mulino in Flemington, but that requires advanced planning for a reservation. For non-Italian we like Thai Thai in Sterling, Pooja and Jose's Mexican Cantina in Warrenville. Stage House Inn is a favorite for special occasions.

KathyM

For a surprisingly good, casual Italian, I recommend Angelo's on Rte 31, across from the Hunterdon Hospital. This is about a ten minute drive from Casa Bianca. This looks like a regular pizza/red sauce borderline dive, but the food is excellent and less than half the cost. Portions here are also huge. If they served regular portions, they would probably be charging $8 per entree.

For a surprisingly good, casual Italian, I recommend Angelo's on Rte 31, across from the Hunterdon Hospital.

I've been there a couple of times and found the food very so-so; certainly a step-up from most pizzerias but nothing worth driving out of the way for.

The Critical Diner

"If posts to eGullet became the yardstick of productivity, Tommy would be the ruler of the free world." -- Fat Guy

For a surprisingly good, casual Italian, I recommend Angelo's on Rte 31, across from the Hunterdon Hospital.

I've been there a couple of times and found the food very so-so; certainly a step-up from most pizzerias but nothing worth driving out of the way for.

I discussed the mention of Angelo's on the board to The Critical Spouse who seems to remember our few stops there in better detail than I. Angelo's should be praised for excellent sauteed calamari in mild or hot gravy and wood burning oven pizzas (although the gravy used is a little on the sweet side). The chicken entrees and other dinners are generally good. Pasta dishes are to be avoided as notwithstanding requests for al dente the texture is almost mushy.

The Critical Diner

"If posts to eGullet became the yardstick of productivity, Tommy would be the ruler of the free world." -- Fat Guy

Has anyone ever been to La Casa Bianca in Whitehouse?  They have a web site at .La Casa Bianca -- Click Here  Curious about what others have heard.  Thanks

No trip to Whitehouse should be made without considering one of the best restaurants in NJ, the Ryland Inn.

The difference between Angelos and The Ryland Inn, among other more obvious things, is $20 vs $200 pp. At Angelos you can bring your own wine. The Ryland Inn is what it is -- a destination, big anniversary place. Angelos is for Thursday night with the kids, or couples on a budget for the weekend.