• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Modern Baker by Nick Malgeri

sugar plum

For other owners of Nick Malgieri's latest "The Modern Baker", I had a disaster with my attempt of the Triple Chocolate cake and emailed the source for advice. He replied with some corrections for a few typos in the book that I thought I would share with everyone:

"I attempted tonight to make the cocoa genoise for your Triple

Chocolate Cake from The Modern Baker. I don't know what

happened but the resulting batter was much too dry. I didn't

bother to bake it through as it didn't look anything like the

photo in the book for the classic genoise. I'm wondering if

it's because I'm using Canadian flour or there's a typo in

the dry ingredients for the cocoa genoise? The dry

ingredients (including sugar) in the classic genoise is ~1.25

cups whereas the dry in the cocoa version ~2 cups.

I would like to try this recipe again and would appreciate any

help you can forward my way."

and his response:

"The coca version has a typo - it should be 1/3 cup flour. The icing for the devilsfood cake on the cover should have 1 1/4 cups sugar, not 1.cups."

Edited by sugar plum (log)

Thanks so much for posting this information for us.

That's why I now wait for second editions to be printed before purchasing a cook book.

Theresa :biggrin:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

Ditto on the thanks for the typos. I've only had trouble with the Espresso Walnut Meringues, but I think that was the fault of my technique more than the recipe :rolleyes: .

And yes on the date walnut bread! I made it as well, but substituted dried figs, which I had on hand. Worked really, really well.

**Melanie**