• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[DET]Definitive Food Experience-your choice

Naftal

Hello-I'm curious, If you were to describe the one essential food related experience that a person should have if he/she is to experience this region, What would it be?I realize that limiting it to 1 or 2 is difficult, but lets try. For the record,my choice would be a hot dog at National Coney Island. :huh::shock:

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

naftal,

i am shocked and disappointed that you chose national over lafayette- to me there is absolutely no comparison. coneys aside, i like zingerman's deli in ann arbor- everything else i can think of can be found in most other major cities. actually slows bar bq would also be a must-visit. and the redcoat tavern for a consistently solid and well prepared meal. and some kind of detroit pizza, whether it be buddy's or lui's. if only one, though, my vote is for lafayette coney island.

Sandy Levine
The Oakland Art Novelty Company

sandy@TheOaklandFerndale.com www.TheOaklandFerndale.com

www.facebook.com/ArtNoveltyCompany twitter: @theoakland

to me there is absolutely no comparison

Agreed.

I hit either Bray's or Miller's Bar every time I fly into Metro. And if I can swing it on the way back down from Up North, I take the long way back to Metro and stop at Greene's. But hey, I like burgers, and Detroit's way rock.

The Coney Island certainly is a Detroit institution, but I've never been a fan, so I can't speak to the great Lafayette vs. National controversy (although most of the press I've read about this favors the former).

Therefore, I vote for:

1) in Hamtramck, either Under the Eagle (my preference) or Polish Village Cafe, for great Polish food in the great Detroit-area melting pot city;

2) in the Wayne State area, the ur-dive bar with great burgers, Bronx Bar;

3) in the vicinity of Corktown, as san mentioned, Slows Bar BQ, for the quintessential Detroit experience of an oasis in the midst of decay (we miss you, Tiger Stadium).

Review/info links:

Hamtramck

Bronx Bar

Slows

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

naftal,

i am shocked and disappointed that you chose national over lafayette- to me there is absolutely no comparison.  coneys aside, i like zingerman's deli in ann arbor- everything else i can think of can be found in most other major cities.  actually slows bar bq would also be a must-visit.  and the redcoat tavern for a consistently solid and well prepared meal.  and some kind of detroit pizza, whether it be buddy's or lui's.  if only one, though, my vote is for lafayette coney island.

san-Thanks for your insights :cool: I am willing to agree that either national or lafayette should be a required stop for any foodie in the Metro area. I feel that both are the best examples of the most original food item that we have.If the Vernor's plant was still on Woodward, that would have been my second choice. Also, I agree with you about zingerman's. It is a wonderfully unique experience.I did not mention it because I am trying to limit things to Wayne,Oaklan, and Macomb Counties.

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

The Coney Island certainly is a Detroit institution, but I've never been a fan, so I can't speak to the great Lafayette vs. National controversy (although most of the press I've read about this favors the former).

Therefore, I vote for:

1) in Hamtramck, either Under the Eagle (my preference) or Polish Village Cafe, for great Polish food in the great Detroit-area melting pot city;

3) in the vicinity of Corktown, as san mentioned, Slows Bar BQ, for the quintessential Detroit experience of an oasis in the midst of decay (we miss you, Tiger Stadium).

Review/info links:

Hamtramck

Bronx Bar

Slows

Alex- Have you ever been to the Third Street Saloon by Wayne State? At one time they were my favorite dive bar. But, I have not been there for a long time and they might have cleaned themselves up a bit :shock:

Edited by Naftal (log)

to me there is absolutely no comparison

Agreed.

I hit either Bray's or Miller's Bar every time I fly into Metro. And if I can swing it on the way back down from Up North, I take the long way back to Metro and stop at Greene's. But hey, I like burgers, and Detroit's way rock.

cinghiale-I will be the first to admit that I don't travel much. So I am unfamiliar with the unique qualities of a Detroit burger :unsure: , please enlighten me

Edited by Naftal (log)

Therefore, I vote for:

Review/info links:

Hamtramck

Bronx Bar

Slows

Alex- Have you ever been to the Third Street Saloon by Wayne State? At one time they were my favorite dive bar. But, I have not been there for a long time and they might have cleaned themselves up a bit :shock:

I haven't been there, but I've been away from the Detroit area for quite some time. Back in the mid-70s, though, when I was living in Hamtramck, three other WSU grad students and I formed a bowling team. After league, we'd head to a corner bar on Conant (whose name I've long forgotten) to drink 25¢ shells of Stroh's and play game after game of air hockey. Good times.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

cinghiale-I will be the first to admit that I don't travel much. So I am unfamiliar with the unique qualities of a Detroit burger :unsure: , please enlighten me

Maybe it's the fact that the shack/slider culture has remained vibrant. Maybe it's the true awesomeness of the Detroit slider. Dunno, maybe it's in the DNA. Me, a like a griddled burger. I never eat 'em grilled (out-of-house, anyway), and Detroit suits my fancy in that way.

Re traveling: When I travel, I just search the local board for burgers and always get plenty of recs (that's how I found Greene's, inter alia). Here are a few that remind me of my home state:

Vermont, near Vergennes ("Michigan" is what them theres call a Coney Island. The ones I've sampled are passable but nowhere near Lafayette OR National):

gallery_7898_6520_53232.jpg

gallery_7898_6520_62839.jpg

gallery_7898_6520_27974.jpg

Vermont, Northern Kingdom:

gallery_7898_6520_48271.jpg

gallery_7898_6520_51574.jpg

New Haven, CT (the late, lamented Doodle, which IMO stood head and shoulders above Louis' Lunch):

gallery_7898_4771_85445.jpg

gallery_7898_4771_5448.jpg

gallery_7898_4771_8780.jpg

North Jersey (steamed and amazing -- see here)

gallery_7898_6520_2688.jpg

gallery_7898_6520_12560.jpg

Washington, DC: The very personable Ollie makes a respectable burger. Way better than the product peddled at the sorely lacking outpost of the Billy Goat on Capitol Hill, which I sampled 30 minutes later.

gallery_7898_6520_47977.jpg

gallery_7898_6520_46819.jpg

Chicago: Muskie's is very Detroit, but their burgers didn't hold up. I also had a dog. It, on the other hand, fulfilled expectations. Maybe a Great Lakes dog/burger thing is going on.

gallery_7898_6520_24406.jpg

gallery_7898_6520_30421.jpg

Slightly closer to home -- Flint: Poor Halo has seen much, much better days. Reminds me of the same fate enjoyed by Lud's in Alpena, where I grew up:

gallery_7898_6520_43055.jpg

gallery_7898_6520_40748.jpg

And just in case you may have forgotten...

gallery_7898_6520_21983.jpg

gallery_7898_6520_37002.jpg

gallery_7898_6520_25252.jpg

gallery_7898_6520_6960.jpg

I am a Royal Oak local, and i would suggest first off right in-town, the Royal Oak Brewery. Fantastic beers, and a menu that is both american comfort food, as well as a twist on bar favorites. In addition to that the absolut best mexican in the area is Taqueria Lupita. $1 tacos and a meal for 2 under $20, is unbeatable, especially considering what is offered. Redcoat as mentioned above is great food and they usually have a few good micobrews on tap.

When I return home for the holidays there are a few places I simply cannot avoid:

1. Zingerman's: I eat here as much as I can while home. A trip to the Zingerman's Road House is an added bonus if I can fit it in to my schedule.

2. Red Coat Tavern: I've eaten here for years, grew up a few miles north on Woodward, have had friends work here and I still know the staff. It's a Detroit institution and is routinely regarded as the best burger in town. Personally, I always order the Piedmontese, fried pickles and a Long Island Ice Tea (the bartenders here make them extra special for us).

3. Hunter House: Between Greene's and Hunter House, either way you're going to experience the epitome of a Detroit slider. I'm a patron of Hunter House just because I grew up in Birmingham where one of their restaurants is.

4. Berkeley Front: This place is my all-time favorite bar. It's kind of like a beer garden, it's kind of like a dive and it's definitely local.

Honestly, I try really hard to hit up all these places when I'm back in Michigan. The other quintessential foods of the area are coney dogs (Lafayette is king), polish food (Hamtramck), various restaurants in Greektown, and some excellent middle eastern food (La Shish).

Hello-Speaking of bars...Are there any other places(besides Bastone in Royal Oak)that brew real Belgian-style beer?

Honestly, I try really hard to hit up all these places when I'm back in Michigan.  The other quintessential foods of the area are coney dogs (Lafayette is king), polish food (Hamtramck), various restaurants in Greektown, and some excellent middle eastern food (La Shish).

However, all of the La Shish locations have been closed for about a year. There was a Charlie's La Shish in Ann Arbor, which originally was part of the franchise but separated from it a couple of years ago. It's now renamed as Charlie's Mediterranean Cuisine.